PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Anyone have experience with any of the pipes in the Morgan Pipes ONE line? They aren't really your traditional pipes and I am very curious about them as a visually appealing minimalist pipe for camping, hiking and bopping around. I don't know anyone who has smoked or owns one personally so I'd love some insight from those of you who have some first hand experience. Thanks in advance.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have two. The briar stem with no button quickly conforms to your teeth and forms a hold. They are great for exactly what you are asking, hiking and camping. I wouldn't use it every day but I certainly love that I can throw it in my pocket and not worry about breaking the stem. Spigots and such exist, but it does that job well.

Reactions: brandaves

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Thank you. Knowing that you liked your first well enough to purchase a second one provides a fairly convincing argument that they are nice trail pipes. I've seen one YouTube video where they describe it as apt to burn hot. I took that with a grain of salt as i watched him puff on his pipe like he was trying to start a fire. @crashthegrey do yours run hot or have a tendency to give tongue bite using tobacco's that wouldn't typically burn hot for you? Bone's makes the argument that they run cooler because there is no shift between material between briar and stem. I'm not sure what to make of that as it never occurred to me that pulling smoke from briar bowl through the stem (whatever material) would increase temperature in some way? I guess briar does do a better job at diffusing heat then do stem materials...I don't know but I'm curious about it.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Mine don't burn hot unless I puff too hard, just like any other pipe. I don't quite buy the cooler because of no transition argument, either. I find it to be pretty standard in terms of temperature. The airway is a little wider open at the end so I would definitely say if you don't pay attention, it is easier to smoke it hot. But that is easy to fix, just sip carefully.

Reactions: brandaves

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Mine don't burn hot unless I puff too hard, just like any other pipe. I don't quite buy the cooler because of no transition argument, either. I find it to be pretty standard in terms of temperature. The airway is a little wider open at the end so I would definitely say if you don't pay attention, it is easier to smoke it hot. But that is easy to fix, just sip carefully.
All that makes sense. Thanks for your insight.

Reactions: crashthegrey

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
I have never owned a Bones pipe just something about the looks that turns me off. I hear the are good smokers though.
I'm wasn't in love with the sandblasted look at first either, but the way they color as you smoke them is beautiful to me. Some of the shapes are pretty out there but I have a half bent apple and I really like the shape. I'm still breaking it in and can already see the color. It's hard to beat a good smoking briar at $40 in my opinion. Adds some variety to the rotation as well.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I say go for it, YouTubers seem to enjoy the bones pipes enough to post about them. 40$ isn't the end of the world either if it's not what you expected. There's plenty of pipes to choose from out there and the bones has a neat niche which is awesome! Let us know how it works out for you, if you do decide to purchase!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I put some chatter on my bits over time, so maybe not for me, but I like their looks. For kicking around, I do like cobs. I know it is a cliche, but it's true.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I'm wasn't in love with the sandblasted look at first either, but the way they color as you smoke them is beautiful to me. Some of the shapes are pretty out there but I have a half bent apple and I really like the shape. I'm still breaking it in and can already see the color. It's hard to beat a good smoking briar at $40 in my opinion. Adds some variety to the rotation as well.
Any virgin or unstained pipe will color like that. It's not unique to Bones or the One but still fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.