PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Just got this Morgan bones pot and this one came with an uncoated chamber which looks like some tooling marks or a possible crack inside, was wondering if stuff like this is normal? Is there anything to worry about and could it lead to a possible burn out?20220630_193525.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm no expert and realize Morgan Bones are economically friendly priced, but that interior "crack" would not be what I bargained for.

I'm guessing most vendors would understand and accept a return/exchange. Possibly reaching out beforehand with a photo would be beneficial.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My guess is that the area of concern is only superficial. I suspect some cutting tool went in at an angle of less than 5 degrees and left that small, shallow gash/tear.

Or, I could be wrong and that tag of briar may be the last strand holding together this damaged microcosm inhabiting the third rock.

Flip a coin.... nnnn

If you want to experiment for the team, as we learn vicariously, smoke it long and hard, see if you can destroy it.

Keep us updated on the ups and downs of it, with good photos.

We can watch it color together, witness its victories and defeats.

If it disintegrates due to that particular area, I vow to lay out 10 estate pipes from my strategic reserve and send you the one of your choice.

1656650723855.png

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I have one with a fissure of some kind on the lower bowl, fairly ugly. Gives it character. Mine is a great smoking pipe, and I smoke hell out of it with no worries. Seems to me that the imperfection on yours would "heal" with smoking. Mine, on the other hand, is on the exterior, so count yourself lucky. I didn't expect much cosmetically, and it delivers. In any event, I think they're guaranteed, aren't they?

Reactions: anotherbob

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I'd send them that photo and see if they'll do an exchange.

Given their reputation and the price of these 'cheap' pipes, I would expect them to just send you an available alternative to your pipe.

That all said, I agree that a little cake after a few smokes probably resolves this issues too.
^^ This

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
I'm going to smoke the heck out it! I will take you up on your offer jaytex1969! I will try to keep this thread up to date... I have 3 pipes in my rotation (if you want to call it that). I smoke a pipe for to days before I change it out, and will try to update with a picture after last bowl on second day. Here is first bowl. So far all is well!20220701_065359.jpg20220701_065319.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm going to smoke the heck out it! I will take you up on your offer jaytex1969! I will try to keep this thread up to date... I have 3 pipes in my rotation (if you want to call it that). I smoke a pipe for to days before I change it out, and will try to update with a picture after last bowl on second day. Here is first bowl. So far all is well!View attachment 154273View attachment 154274
I think you should smoke only that pipe for an entire year...

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I'm going to smoke the heck out it! I will take you up on your offer jaytex1969! I will try to keep this thread up to date... I have 3 pipes in my rotation (if you want to call it that). I smoke a pipe for to days before I change it out, and will try to update with a picture after last bowl on second day. Here is first bowl. So far all is well!View attachment 154273View attachment 154274
Well said. Go for it! Probably end up being your favorite pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and edger

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Side question... do any of you'll put any type of wax on your bones? I've been using Decatur Pipe Shield No-Buff Wax on my other pipe. Wondering if it would help or hinder the natural patina?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've smoked coloration into a number of unstained unpolished pipes, and my advice is, don't add anything. Residue will build up and impede their natural patina. Some of my Savs have gone from a sort of raw lumber look to deepening color, then a uniform matte darkening, and eventually to a resonant bright walnut stain color that becomes polished looking, as if it were highly finished ... with no added wax or polish of any kind. I say, leave it alone and let the miracle happen.

Reactions: Masterblaster

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
Just smoke it! If you have any issues Chris will stand behind it. I own quite a few Bones pipes. Some are pretty and some are pretty gnarley. I've never had any trouble with any of them. I have one that I carry in my backpack for "emergencies".....you know like being stuck somewhere I wasn't expecting to be able to smoke a pipe ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr