PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I'm with ya brother... puffy
Funny thing about Chinaski was that he had leukemia, and his wife said that he was able to work relatively well until the end. He was a legend. He did what he loved and it killed him. His dad used to beat him as a child, but he managed to put his troubles aside and become successful by quitting his day job at the post office.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
There's no one-size-fits-all answer.

You must evaluate risks versus benefits and all under the light of your personal situation. Do you have dependents? Then you can't be selfish and must cut it down or even quit. Has the illness made YOU the dependent? Then smoke away if quitting won't make you better or can even make you worse.

We are not obligated to follow expert advice. We must discern, however. And again, every one is different. I once knew someone with cancer who decided to stop his chemotherapy treatments: they were making him feel worse; that was like 8 years ago and last year the man was still alive and well.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Right now, if my habits were making it worse or shortening my life, I have a wife and babies I'm responsible for. If, however, the doc tells me this at 80, I'm most likely going to thank him and pick up some more Siete Leguas Tequila on the way home, and crack open a tin of flake. But to be honest, I'm pretty sure its's my sparkling personality that's going to cause my demise.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
No idea, hope I never find out.

I've put decent financial safeguards in place for my wife and kids in the event of an untimely demise.

Ultimately everyone talks about what death means to other people, not the person dying - understandably, they ARE finally free after all - but as long as I'm breathing my life is my own.

Food and smoking are my vices, I tell her "as long as you see me buying pipe tobacco, be relaxed, if I stop then worry".

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
While I am here I try to be a good steward to the things that I have been given. All of the things that will presumably outlive me (my pipes, finances, homes, antique furniture, family, friends, etc.) I take great care of, but things that are meant to be consumed, I show slightly less esteem. As my body will be consumed by time and chance, it falls into the later category; but my mind, which I have faith will follow me into eternity, I (at this age) try to take very good care of and pipe smoking helps me in this area. I have as of yesterday, just smoked my first pipe in over 90 days, and the experience was a welcome one. I received immediate relaxation and gratification from the first puff. And this to me is worth any perceived risk that pipe smoking may pose. No one (I believe) can place a value on a moments worth of peace, and if I can trade a day of time for an equal day of peace, I think that I’ve made a fair trade...all things considered.

To answer your question, no, I would not quit unless immediate healing was only attainable by quitting alone. I am a stubborn man, but I am not a fool.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I was told about this HS baseball coach who gave up dip tobacco. I was at a game where he showed his ass several times. I mean, it was embarrassing.

Apparently he decided to resume the dipping and it completely changed his personality, meaning, he didn’t act a fool in public.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have plenty of health issues but I have only once vice which iis pipe smoking. I don't drink, I don't do drugs that I am not supposed to take and I refuse to give up my one vice. I don't belive pipe smoking will kill me and if it does, too bad, I refuse to give it up. My favorite quote is from Hunter S Thompson and it does like this.

. “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”

It is how I have lived my life and I have no plans on changing it now.

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I have plenty of health issues but I have only once vice which iis pipe smoking. I don't drink, I don't do drugs that I am not supposed to take and I refuse to give up my one vice. I don't belive pipe smoking will kill me and if it does, too bad, I refuse to give it up. My favorite quote is from Hunter S Thompson and it does like this.

. “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”

It is how I have lived my life and I have no plans on changing it now.
Speaking of journeys to the grave - You ever notice how every damn cancer and disease case is titled a 'journey' by big pharma and the medical industry - They word it as if the patient planned a dismal prognosis as if it were a vacation - Those journeys don't often go to well for most - only the one's featured in the promotional material and videos for the clinics and drug companies