PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
If one finds an aromatic to be too cloyingly sweet, keeping it in a jar for a good period of time is a good way to tone the sweetness down. But it's a balancing act: keep an aro jarred too long and a good deal of the flavor is gone.

For an aro as goopy as Molto Dolce, I must say, I find it stays lit fairly well for me, requiring only an average number of relights. It is delightful...for about ten minutes. It's like a caramel chew that you can smoke. Which is good. But I wouldn't want to eat a caramel chew for half an hour and I wouldn't want to smoke one for that length of time either. I find if I do smoke some MD, I go with a small bowl. It does make my apartment smell like a candy store, which is nice. Certainly a more pleasant smell than Haunted Bookshop!

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Crème Brûlée is not as goopy - but you still get the snap, crackle, and pop of rice krispees. I agree with @Chasing Embers that B&M stores benefit by having it available for bulk sale under the House name. Lane does this as well. RLP-6 is Captain Black “White”. Less goopy but still the same. The bulk versions do have a differences in the notes due to less PG.

Reactions: AroEnglish

motie2

Lurker
Mar 31, 2015
30 minutes west of Manhattan
I always recommend MD for beginners. I've always thought of it as training wheels for the pipe smoker.

Also, a must try for people who like smoking a pipe, but dislike the taste of tobacco. You'd be surprised how many of them are out there.

Pipeh

Lurker
Feb 28, 2023
Southern California
I tried some Molto Dolce, it tastes pleasant, for the most part. There is an aspect of it that reminds me of a vape. I'm not a fan of that part of it. I can only assume that this is PG, since PG is a major component of vape fluid. But thought I heard someone claim that PG imparts no flavor to pipe tobacco, which I tend not to believe now. But I haven't done any testing on it so what do I know?

motie2

Lurker
Mar 31, 2015
30 minutes west of Manhattan
Propylene glycol (PG) is a colorless, odorless liquid that is often used as a humectant in pipe tobacco. Humectants are substances that help to keep tobacco moist, which can help to prevent it from drying out and becoming harsh.

Some people believe that PG can have a sweet taste, while others say that it is tasteless. The taste of PG may vary depending on the amount that is used in the tobacco, as well as the other flavorings that are present.

If you are sensitive to the taste of PG, you may be able to taste it in pipe tobacco that contains it. However, most people do not notice the taste of PG, and it is generally considered to be a safe additive.

Ultimately, whether or not you can taste PG in pipe tobacco is a matter of personal preference. If you are concerned about the taste of PG, you can try smoking tobacco that does not contain it. ~ BARD

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Molto Dolce is a great way to build carbon cake fast. (Though I prefer Capt Blk for that purpose). MD is a little too sweet for my tastes, I usually cut some mild Cavendish in with it to tame that sweetness. Good stuff though.👍

S.A. DeVault

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2022
Southern Wisconsin
In my opinion, Molto Dolce is the perfect name for this blend, it really is "molto dolce". When I first got my tin, and opened it, the scent was heavenly. The tobacco was so moist, that I really thought I was making a rookie mistake by immediately packing a pipeful, but the scent was too alluring. I've never before or since smelled a blend and salivated like one of Pavlov's dogs. Surprisingly, like others have said above, it smoked just fine, with not any more relights than I usually have with aromatics. I believe my first bowl was at night, when I use break out the heaviest English/Oriental I have on hand, but as I began smoking, my wife and brother-in-law rejoiced at the room note. I will be back for more. If you're planning on having a pipeful of Molto Dolce after dinner, you can skip dessert and not feel cheated

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I tried some Molto Dolce, it tastes pleasant, for the most part. There is an aspect of it that reminds me of a vape. I'm not a fan of that part of it. I can only assume that this is PG, since PG is a major component of vape fluid. But thought I heard someone claim that PG imparts no flavor to pipe tobacco, which I tend not to believe now. But I haven't done any testing on it so what do I know?
i find pg has a gross but subtle taste