PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Good job, fadingdaylight!
I sure want to try it, but... I've got so much tobacco right now I'd have to give a ton away before buying another ounce!
Course, don't know many folks who'd reject me giving away tobacco(and I'm one of those possessive jerks who drools over his stash and grins about being the one who gets to smoke it all.)
:)

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Pups, you're like the pipe tobacco grinch, lol! Haven't tried it yet but just bought a tin from Stig today, so we'll see.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I got a sample tin from Sutliff when they were doing their freebie giveaway last year, and I'm finally getting to the last of it. I'll probably need to get some more - it's one of three "wife-approved" blends I've tried so far, so I plan to stock up on those.

piperator

Lurker
Mar 13, 2014
Molto Dolce is probably the most aromatic of the aromatic tobaccos I have smoked. Now, in my book, that’s not always a bad thing. I smoked a bowl of Molto Dolce straight form the tin and here are my impressions.
Humidity: some have said that Molto Dolce comes too wet and goopy, but my experience was different. The tobacco was neither wet, nor goopy. Some other tinned aros (like McClelland’s Holliday Spirit) are much more wet and goopy.
Nose: Distinctly dominant whiff of vanilla and caramel – in that order. Heavily cased. The manufacturer listed honey as the third note, but I could not taste any of it.
Char: lights well and emits rich, thick smoke right at the outset. Didn’t notice any major initial crackling as some did.
Middle: creamy, balmy sweetness is released with every draw. Exceptionally smooth with no tongue bite whatsoever, even when I tried to puff more aggressively. Had to relight a few times. No change, but no complexity either – the same sweet, somewhat syrupy notes continue throughout.
Bottom: Some slight chemical taste crept up towards the end – can’t put my finger on it, but it was there. Nothing overpowering, but present. Quality aros should not have such stuff. Didn’t like it.
Room note: Outstanding. Smoked it in my study with full approval of my non-smoking guests.
Bottom line: If you are used to smoking good ol’ Balkan Sobranie and such, Molto Dolce is quite the opposite: the tobacco gets lost in the heavily cased additives and you don’t even taste the tobacco. If you are really into sweet aros, this might easily be your holy grail. And yes, Molto Dolce will really ghost your pipe, so if you don’t plan to smoke it, better a corn cob.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
GF loves it, meaning that's all she smokes! I agree with piperator heavily cased and no tobacco taste. Me I'll stick with P&W, she can stick with Molto Dolce but not in MY pipes, no share and share alike here.

Status
Not open for further replies.