PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
83799EF4-D441-4485-B144-1132ECB4D610.jpeg
Dammit! Moldy streak runs right through all of the flakes. Definitely fuzzy, nasty mold, and not sugar bloom. I sent an email off to the retailer, we’ll see how it plays out...

• Sad
Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
This makes me a touch nervous since I have a fair amount of SG on its way to my house. Was Kendal Flake the only thing you purchased or just the only thing that had mold?

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Dammit! Moldy streak runs right through all of the flakes. Definitely fuzzy, nasty mold, and not sugar bloom. I sent an email off to the retailer, we’ll see how it plays out...
Bummer! Sorry to hear that. I know how it feels. I got a moldy tin of Sam's Flake very early this year left over from the last batch and luckily the retailer was able to replace it.

This makes me a touch nervous since I have a fair amount of SG on its way to my house. Was Kendal Flake the only thing you purchased or just the only thing that had mold?
I only have several different tins on the way, but I agree! Guess the plan will be to pop all of the new tins, verify the situation, jar the tobacco, and then keep an eye on it.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Well, I felt like both my tins of Grousemoor and Skiff Mixture were on the dry side, not dried out, but less moist than my other tins of SG.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio

The choc flake was fine. Only the Kendal Cream, which was the real bummer for me as I love that stuff.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
All my tins were popped when I got them today (the new SG tins, not quite as bad as the Hansom Flake tins, but close), so you'll probably be jarring stuff from this drop anyway. Hopefully, that will make checking for mold suck marginally less for some people.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Bummer man but certainly glad to see they're making it right. I'm still hoping for more Kendal Plug as I'm fairly certain I can sand any mold off the outside because it's just got to be a scientific impossibility for the mold to penetrate that rock solid block ;)

Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Bummer man but certainly glad to see they're making it right. I'm still hoping for more Kendal Plug as I'm fairly certain I can sand any mold off the outside because it's just got to be a scientific impossibility for the mold to penetrate that rock solid block ;)
It’s rock solid for sure.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
All my tins were popped when I got them today (the new SG tins, not quite as bad as the Hansom Flake tins, but close), so you'll probably be jarring stuff from this drop anyway. Hopefully, that will make checking for mold suck marginally less for some people.
Only got one tin. But the boxes, oh, the boxes.

leonidas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2013
.....forgive the stupid question, but you can't smoke tobacco with mold? ....won't the flame burn off the mold??

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The choc flake was fine. Only the Kendal Cream, which was the real bummer for me as I love that stuff.
That is a crying shame man, sorry to hear about this... though it happens. Kendal Cream is one of my favorites from SG and it used to be the last one on the shelves back in the day, this one rarely ran out of stock. This is also one of the only tobaccos that I've found a difference in the tinned version vs. the bulk (box) stuff. I prefer it out of the tin but I bought pounds of the stuff in boxes years ago so it will have to do... as hard as this stuff is to come by these days, it's better than nothing.

I hope the retailer works out a satisfying solution even if they can't replace something they no longer have.

Status
Not open for further replies.