PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

James8855

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2019
How many bowls of pipe tobacco you have to smoke without resting to make your pipe(briar) sour permanently?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Honestly I don’t think anyone has the answer to that.
I believe you cannot smoke a pipe to “sourness” permanently as it will eventually dry out and be fine. It just might take a long time.

Reactions: anotherbob

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
How many bowls of pipe tobacco you have to smoke without resting to make your pipe(briar) sour permanently?
I usually smoke the same pipe twice per day for a week before changing pipes. I've gone as long as a couple of months with the same pipe and have never had a pipe go sour. I do disassemble and clean after each smoke though.

Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never having a sourness problem with a pipe, I have to say I don't know. Similar to ghosting, I think the key factor is maintenance habits and how many pipes you have. If you wipe out the bowl with a paper towel/napkin after you scoop out the ash, you won't build cake, and that will help, and keep the chamber the original size. If you have a dozen or more pipes and rotate them after every smoke or after every day of smoking, that should help. Just like ghosting and funkiness in a pipe, these should prevent sourness.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you smoke dryish tobacco down to the heel, and then give it a hot water flush, towel dry, pipe cleaner in the airway, you can avoid a sour pipe for decades. You can also smoke it immediately after the flush; briar absorbs virtually no water with a quick flush and dry.

James8855

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2019
Never having a sourness problem with a pipe, I have to say I don't know. Similar to ghosting, I think the key factor is maintenance habits and how many pipes you have. If you wipe out the bowl with a paper towel/napkin after you scoop out the ash, you won't build cake, and that will help, and keep the chamber the original size. If you have a dozen or more pipes and rotate them after every smoke or after every day of smoking, that should help. Just like ghosting and funkiness in a pipe, these should prevent sourness.
But don’t you need cake to protect the briar pipe from overheating?

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Cake is overrated if you ask me. It doesn't accomplish anything that I've ever found, other than make the bowl smaller and contribute to ghosting, but some people swear by it. In any event, the easiest way to keep a pipe from overheating is to control the way you smoke.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I smoke so little that the cleaning doesn’t become a chore. If I smoked 10 bowls a day out of the same pipe while I worked, I would probably just live with the inevitable cake buildup with the occasional ream, as in didimaw’s grabow thread.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I think it depends. My very first pipe was a no-name basket pipe and for the first month or 2 I only smoked Aromatics 3-4times a day. After these 2 months of non-stop aro smoking journey; my pipe became permanently sour. Salt treatment didn't help at all.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
This is mere conjecture, but IMO, you can keep your pipe smoking "sweetly" just by keeping the shank and stem clean. No need to mess with the bowl beyond what mso advises.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you smoke dryish tobacco down to the heel, and then give it a hot water flush, towel dry, pipe cleaner in the airway, you can avoid a sour pipe for decades. You can also smoke it immediately after the flush; briar absorbs virtually no water with a quick flush and dry.

I should have added: This will also keep cake to a minimum, and what is there is pretty hard carbon. The only crumbly cake I like is in tobacco, not in a chamber.

Reactions: BROBS

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I don't think a pipe can permanently go sour. I have had pipes start to taste a little nasty when smoking too frequently, and I've found that a good cleaning and a couple days of rest will bring a pipe back to life. I will smoke the same pipe a few times per week and have no trouble with any of my pipes "going sour."

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've had pipes sour. From not cleaning them. And the fix was to clean the pipe. I like cake but cake in a pipe is sort of like the way cake in your supper is. You want a little bit but too much is a problem too. It doesn't take much cake to protect the pipe. Too much can help break a pipe supposedly. Basically if your pipe is sour clean it. Honestly cake is something that happens regardless of whether you cultivate it consciously or not.

Reactions: Mis Pipas

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have no idea what a sour pipe is.
Just clean it after each use. I will sometimes smoke the same pipe 10 times a day, not often, but every now and then, as I can't always bring a dozen pipes with me everywhere I go.
You'll know a pipe is sour when you smoke it and you find yourself wondering if a small animal used the bowl as a toilet for solid wastes. It happens when you don't pack enough pipe cleaners for an extended trip even though you packed a good amount of tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.