PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Create a funnel shape on the tenon end with a large drill bit or countersink bit.

I have one Peterson Churchwarden that’s probably from the 60s or 70s it’s beautiful and smokes perfectly but is impractical and I just don’t smoke it. If you just sat in a lounge to smoke it might be great but I’m usually on the go

DavidT

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2019
Iowa
I love my Savinelli 921 churchwarden, but it gets the gurgles as well from time to time.Here's mine

I use the pipe cleaner down the steam trick if it starts to gurrlge to the point it annoys me while I'm smoking it.
All the aromatics I smoke in it will gurgle at some point during the smoke. Nigthcap and Prince Albert don't gurgle at all.

Reactions: renfield

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
For me, the one Churchwarden I have is mostly relegated for display.

Sounds about right. I have always maintained that churchwardens offer no practical advantage over any traditional shape--it's appeal is entirely about the look of a long stem. It's all "hey everyone look at me, I'm a pipe smoker." Even a gourd calabash, as utterly pompous as they are, still offers a great smoke that in many cases is superior to briar.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Sounds about right. I have always maintained that churchwardens offer no practical advantage over any traditional shape--it's appeal is entirely about the look of a long stem. It's all "hey everyone look at me, I'm a pipe smoker." Even a gourd calabash, as utterly pompous as they are, still offers a great smoke that in many cases is superior to briar.
Gourd calabashes are fantastic smokers. At least, the one I have is. But really unwieldy. Not a clencher. And most of the bowls don't seem to hold a whole lot of tobacco.

Reactions: BROBS and logs

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Churchwardens are practical for me when driving: I can rest my elbow on the armrest and smoke away with minimal movements of my head or hand/arm. I don't clench. Everyone's different; just because my habits make something impractical doesn't mean the neighbour across the street won't find it just what the doc ordered.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
The only churchwarden I smoke regularly is a MM Wizard Cobbit. Ive never had gurgling in it like I sometimes get in a briar. Maybe the cob just absorbs enough more moisture.

For me the attraction of the big MM churchwarden is that the long stem lets me prop my elbow on the arm of a comfy outdoor lounge chair in the shade of the back porch with my feet kicked up and enjoy a few hours’ smoke with minimal movement (mostly when I need to top off the iced bourbon in the other hand) on our hot, sticky NC summer afternoons…usually while smoking a couple pork shoulders to scratch the BBQ itch.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I found with mine (and may not work with yours) is to do a slow light blow in between puffs when it starts. Not to the point that you blow the lit tobacco all over yourself just enough to get it down to the bowl where the heat should take care of it. Give it a try if it works great, if not all hope is lost. J/k. The pipe cleaner trick works good also.
Yep - What he said!!!

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I have a couple of churchwardens and enjoy them both occasionally. I reserve them for end of the day smokes while relaxing in my recliner. Having said that, gurgling pipes, for me at least, is just part of the price of admission. To echo the suggestions of others, dry your tobacco more than you think you need to, smoke a little slower than you think you need to and keep a pipe cleaner handy. The main thing is to sit back, relax and enjoy your pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan

I've always said the same about churchwardens. I was even hesitant to try a gourd calabash until I found one in a more conventional bowl size that is the same size as one of my standard briar bowls. And yes, it does smoke fantastically.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I don't get any gurgling in my Wizard churchwarden, but it's a filtered pipe. Those balsa filters are wonderful for soaking up all that moisture. Of course, this doesn't help the OP, hence my previous suggestion of the clay 'filters'.
interesting my cobbit wizard isn't filtered nor is any of my cobbits. Now my other churchwardens they don't gurgle. Try taking the stem off and insert a pipe cleaner into the bowl then pack your pipe. Remove pipe cleaner and reassemble the pipe. Now light and enjoy. This will show you if it it a packing problem or not. Now there are times when we draw a small piece of tobacco up into the shank or stem. For this you can gently blow into the stem and remove the item.

Status
Not open for further replies.