PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snakeseye

Lurker
Aug 15, 2021
Israel
Hello,
For a while I wanted an Ashton pipe, I find them to fit to my taste the best among the classic English pipes.
I know of the reputation of older Ashtons, or at least know people who really like them.
It is a bit hard to start hunting for one, especially when you don't grasp what is a fair value etc.

That brings me to the question: what what is your opinion about post-Bill Taylor and current make Ashton pipes? how do they compare if you tried both eras?

Thank you!

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I've owned two Jimmy Craig Ashtons, and still have one which I smoke regularly. They are really great pipes, though having never had a Bill Taylor Ashton I can't directly compare them. I bought them both as estates, although in very good condition. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snakeseye

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have owned both and by my experience (limited), I prefer Taylor Ashtons. Taylor made pipes can be a little risky as well, so chose carefully. In the 2015 era,I found Jimmy's pipe stem work lacking and sold mine. From what I've seen on the web, the stem work looks improved, but I have not examined one in person.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Yeah there's a small level of inconsistency with both eras. If possible, I'd recommend handling one before buying. Thats not always possible these days though - so try to really examine a pipe and ask questions if you're not sure.

I've never had a BAD one.
For my experience though, Taylor era pipes, especially from the 80s, have something special. I think they have more of a "hand made" feel to them.

Snakeseye

Lurker
Aug 15, 2021
Israel
I am not going to quote everyone but these are all very helpful messages! thank you very much. ♥️
I am happy to hear that regardless of the inconsistency, overall there are good new ones you guys are happy with.
@bluegrassbrian is there a way to find out/date Ashton pipes (other than the bill taylor stamp)? are there specfic signs or years I should be looking for?

handling before buying would be unlikely, I do think if I start looking at Ashtons I do have some idea of what I look for in a nice pipe, but of course a lot of stuff you cant really see from photos.

another 2 questions
does Jimmy Craig make all those pipes? I am guessing its a workshop or a factory but I wonder if you guys know what is the size of it these days, how many workers etc.

also, on Smokingpipes, I see a few as Estate and quite a few new ones, does any of these gives you a good impression?

or maybe any Ashtons from other retailers which are sponsors of the site? maybe in Europe?
I hope it is okay to mention/ask about retailers, I didnt find it in the rules that you cant and I am asking about the sponsored ones but if it is not allowed please let me know and it will be gone.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
As far as dating goes, outside the Taylor era dating system, I'm not aware of anything besides hallmarks on silver bands.

I don't know this for certain but I've always assumed that there are others that contribute to the making of pipes for Ashton. It's not just Jimmy Craig pushing out thousands of pipes a year.
Jim was certainly helping Bill for a number of years before he passed.

Reactions: Snakeseye

Snakeseye

Lurker
Aug 15, 2021
Israel
As far as dating goes, outside the Taylor era dating system, I'm not aware of anything besides hallmarks on silver bands.

I don't know this for certain but I've always assumed that there are others that contribute to the making of pipes for Ashton. It's not just Jimmy Craig pushing out thousands of pipes a year.
Jim was certainly helping Bill for a number of years before he passed.

Thank you, so the Taylor era is actually the one which is possible to date?
and yes, must be some sort of workshop or factory situation with the amounts they make, and I am guessing (really just guessing), they made more back in the day, I think it's time to just pull up the pipedia page and read it.

Reactions: bluegrassbrian

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Jimmy Craig runs the business very oddly, in my opinion.
It was rumoured he used his sons to make pipes and that was the reason for the quality issues (for me, stem fitment). He sold pipes through a few shops, then also put them on his eBay store, and they were for much lower prices. I'm guessing that did not make his vendors happy.

Craig pipes use the three-digit date system and some are banded (not sure if they are hallmarked).

Max at Pipes2Smoke has some on clearance. (prices don't look great to me)

Snakeseye

Lurker
Aug 15, 2021
Israel
Jimmy Craig runs the business very oddly, in my opinion.
It was rumoured he used his sons to make pipes and that was the reason for the quality issues (for me, stem fitment). He sold pipes through a few shops, then also put them on his eBay store, and they were for much lower prices. I'm guessing that did not make his vendors happy.

Craig pipes use the three-digit date system and some are banded (not sure if they are hallmarked).

Max at Pipes2Smoke has some on clearance. (prices don't look great to me)

thank you for the informative and honest answer! good to know.

Snakeseye

Lurker
Aug 15, 2021
Israel
thank you for the input everyone!

I don't have a Taylor but I do have a 2020 Craig which I enjoy very much. It smokes quite well. I like that Jimmy uses cumberland in a lot if his pipes and that he still, as I understand it, oil cures.

I did not know they oil cure them.. that's really cool.. makes me want one more.

Snakeseye

Lurker
Aug 15, 2021
Israel
You can find Ashton's through nearly every Italian/European online retailer. They're everywhere over there.
If you'd ever want an Ashton with filter capabilities, that's where to look.
thank you! will go through the ones I know and look around.
Not sure if you can buy from the UK, but it's worth keeping an eye on eBay as good quality, slightly smoked estates come up very regularly.
I can buy from UK usually, with ebay it is a bit hard to know what is a good price when you are not familiar with the market for Ashtons yet, hard for me to tell if a price of an Ashton from X year with X finish is fair or not without more experience.. but the more you look around the more you start getting a scale of the prices so I should start looking more.

thank you!

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
One advantage (for me) of the Craig Ashtons is the use of ebonite as opposed to "ashtonite" as stem material.