PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
I've been wanting to try some Prince Albert or SWR but I was wondering: am I going to get anything our of these that I'm not already getting from PS41 Cube Cut, PS23 B&B, Sutliff J4, Pegasus, or Haunted Bookshop? I've piled up quite a lot of tobacco in my first four months. Just trying to be realistic.

Modern Burleys vs. Codger Burleys - what say you all?

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I've been wanting to try some Prince Albert or SWR but I was wondering: am I going to get anything our of these that I'm not already getting from PS41 Cube Cut, PS23 B&B, Sutliff J4, Pegasus, or Haunted Bookshop? I've piled up quite a lot of tobacco in my first four months. Just trying to be realistic.

This is not an answer to your question but instead a recommendation. If you haven’t already, check out Watch City Cigar bulk pipe blends. Waltham Broken and Deluxe Crumb are some fine burley blends among many others they sell that I haven’t tried yet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I consider myself a burley devotee. I like burley as a base tobacco (the greater percent in a blend), as a condiment within an English or other blend, as a single leaf, or as a leaf to mix with other blends for a little more character.

I don't consider the burley in the brands that are sold in tubs, pouches, or in bulk as being different from burleys used by blenders to do premium blends. Depending on your tastes, some of the so-called over-the-counter blends or codger blends have harmony and refinement equal to higher priced blends, and in some cases they burn longer and cooler with fewer relights, though most of us don't like to admit that.

I often recommend Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which is burley based with Virginia as a condiment and flavored with three liqueurs -- pretty toney for blend in a pouch.

You only know if you try a blend. And you can buy these in a pouch at a notably moderate price. It's not a different burley. It's not often an inferior burley. It's a burley, and sometimes it could be your best smoke of the week, so dive right in there and forget the snobbery. Sometimes a good burley is just a damned good burley.

Jun 23, 2019

If you like burleys, give those blends a try.

Realistically the only difference between 'modern burleys' and 'codger burleys' is how it's marketed to you.

Reactions: Smoking Pipe402

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
This is my kind of post. I like Uhles 00 and C&D Burleys, Burley Flakes and VaBurs and all of the many wonderful modern plays on burley.

But if I had to have only one burley blend my choice is simple. At over 100 years old, it burns cool and tastes great.

I’d surely miss Pegasus, Crooner and Old Joe Blue and Burley Flake #2 and many, many others but I never tire of Granger —It’s what I grab 80 percent of the time.

On edit: I think the uniformity from year to year goes to the Codgers. My last two orders of Crooner differed in cut and in the amount of DT. Dissatisfied.

And I would take Wild Turkey 101 over the lions share of the modern “small batch” fancy bourbons. Good is Good.

Last edited:

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
And I would take Wild Turkey 101 over the lions share of the modern “small batch” fancy bourbons. Good is Good.
Yes. I am a George Dickel man and love getting 2 or 3 bottles for the price of one overhyped barrel blend.

I will def give the Granger a try.

EDIT: Holy crap, Granger has a POINTER on the can! My pointer mix is the smartest dog in the world! It's serendipity, baby!

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
For the most part, the codger burleys tend to be lower in nicotine. I smoke burleys almost exclusively and the ones I smoke the most are Sir Walter Raleigh and Pegasus. Pegasus has quite a bit more nicotine so it depends on what I'm in the mood for. The Sir Walter Raleigh tobaccos produced by Scandinavian Tobacco Group are very high quality IMO.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I'd say the biggest difference between the two is that codger blends are typically made with easy consumption and pleasant room notes in mind. As such, they tend to have a light body, easy nicotine level, and are cased or topped generously. Many modern burley blends can also be that, but others are meant for a more robust experience, with a stronger nic hit and heavier body. Haunted Bookshop, a blend you mentioned, is like this.

If both were coffees, the codger blends tend to be a mellow house blend with a little sugar and/or cream added. The so-called artisan blends tend to be more like a robust coffee served black. That's the analogy I'd use to describe the difference, such as there is.

I'd say the biggest difference between the two is that codger blends are typically made with easy consumption and pleasant room notes in mind. As such, they tend to have a light body, easy nicotine level, and are cased or topped generously. Many modern burley blends can also be that, but others are meant for a more robust experience, with a stronger nic hit and heavier body. Haunted Bookshop, a blend you mentioned, is like this.

If both were coffees, the codger blends tend to be a mellow house blend with a little sugar and/or cream added. The so-called artisan blends tend to be more like a robust coffee served black. That's the analogy I'd use to describe the difference, such as there is.
Codger blends are the instant International Vanilla Hazelnut type blends.
These name brand codger-like blends are more like a Starbucks French Vanilla. It still has flavoring, but it's closer to real (better beans) coffee.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I would recommend the H&H Mid Town Series, they are quality renditions of the older codger blends that our fathers and grandfathers probably smoked back in the day. I personally love the "Derby Club" and "Chatham Manor" which are higher quality versions (in my opinion of course) of "Kentucky Club" and "Carter Hall", but all of them are very good. I find them to have less (or none) of that chemical taste that you sometimes get with some of the more modern OTC blends.

"The Hearth & Home Mid-Town Series has been created to take the place of four recently discontinued blends and to offer a more affordable alternative to two blends that are still being made. A worthy addition to the Hearth & Home lines of tobaccos, these blends were developed to offer a less costly alternative to some fan favorites. For savings, quality, and satisfaction, you'll find it hard to beat Hearth & Home's Mid-Town Series."

Hearth & Home Mid-Town - Pipes and Cigars - https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/hearth-home-mid-town-brand/1702070/?shop=Pipe+Tobacco

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I say if you’re curious about any tobacco buy it and smoke it.
There are blends I want to try and until I do, they feel like something unchecked on my to do list.

So far, for the most part, the codger blends I’ve tried aren’t for me. They taste artificial, like what the hell is on this to make it taste like imitation tobacco. With that being said I still have them jarred up and will revisit them from time to time. I am not saying they are bad, if they taste like manna from heaven to you then I say Hallelujah for you.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
As rule I loathe burleys but if forced to smoke one it would be EGR or PA. So, I guess I fall on the Codger side of the discussion.