PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Just the other day I saw an email from P&C about having some Mississippi River bulk back in stock. Now I've smoked a few ounces of Plum Pudding and it's pretty good so I figured I'd pull the trigger on 8oz of Mississippi river.
Well it should really be named MMMMMMMMMississippi River. Wow as soon as I opened the pouch it had an overwhelming sweetness to it that reminded me of McClelland's. So I packed up a pipe and wow it's as sweet and delicious as it smells.
What do you all think of SPC's Mississippi River? How does it compare to the reserve version?

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I have an 8 ounce tin of SPC Mississippi and Plum Pudding, but have so much to smoke before I can justify opening a new tin. I was thinking of grabbing a small tin of each to kill the suspense.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm not sure if people stopped talking about it because it was hard to get for a while, but Mississippi River, aside from having a name that is hard to spell, is one of the best blends I've ever tried.
It's been a while since I smoked any but a year or two back when it was introduced there was so much hype you could hardly avoid hearing about that blend.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
If you like it, make sure you stock up. It won't survive the deeming, if that goes through. I am trying to get as much Plum Pudding, Mississippi River, and Seattle Evening. I have some tins of the reserve stuff, but have so much opened I just can't justify cracking a tin yet.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
For some reason I can not, for the life of me taste Mississippi River. I have some aged from 2012 and it is so mild I can barely tell I'm smoking. I also have some from a new batch and same thing... I taste nothing. Plum Pudding on the other hand, that's good stuff!
@Frozenchurchwarden: It was certainly introduced more than a year or two ago... maybe that's when the hyp started?

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
Hawky, I've had the same experience. My first (and only) tin so far of MR was from 2008, so I expected a nice, aged flavor. Every smoke I've had of it tasted like hot air, and that was after drying the heck out of it. So I let it sit out for about a day, and the most recent smoke of it was better.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hawky, I've had the same experience. My first (and only) tin so far of MR was from 2008, so I expected a nice, aged flavor. Every smoke I've had of it tasted like hot air, and that was after drying the heck out of it. So I let it sit out for about a day, and the most recent smoke of it was better.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, it seems like most people absolutely love it. I guess our palates just don't pick up on the subtleties of the blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.