PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
Hi Gentlemen, I just purchased a new Missouri Meerschaum Zenon hardwood pipe. I like it very much and look forward to smoking it. Like all MM hardwood pipes, the shank extends into the bowl. Well, I am disappointed to find that there is a gap around the shank, so that if I block the top of the bowl with my hand, and draw on the stem, air comes in around the shank. Or conversely, if I blow in the stem while covering the bowl, air comes out.
Is there a way to repair it? I was thinking of twisting the shank to break the glue, and then re-gluing it in. Or is there a way to plug the leak? I really have my heart set on enjoying the pipe…
8BD63CEE-3545-4EF8-876F-C9A77825EC48.jpeg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The gap is very small. I’m unsure if I could add more glue from the outside without making a mess. It doesn’t seem possible to add more glue from the inside of the bowl.
I assume it didn't cost much so it would be worth trying it the way you suggested. A tooth pick is worthwhile way to get bits of glue into tight areas.

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
Thank you gentlemen! It's a funny thing, how sometimes good advice seems so obvious in retrospect. ? I put a bead of Elmer's glue around the shank and then applied a vacuum to the stem, which drew in some of the glue. Adding more glue with a toothpick and repeating a few times, the leak seems completely fixed. I removed the excess glue and all seems well. Tomorrow I will try it out. Thanks again!

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I could never get into the hardwoods. But I always hear that people love them. What is there to love????

The weight is probably the best thing about them, it's just a real lightweight comfortable pipe.

The price is low so if you break one it won't break your heart.

They have the charming characteristics of a cob but will last a long time.. maybe forever if you take good care of them. Cobs get kind of funky after a while.. I have an old cob that I just cant get clean enough to smoke good.

I've had one harwood for about 3 years. Ive smoked at least a few times a week.. Most of that time, a time or 2 a day.

You can always pick up a new cob, but I like things that last.

The glue on the hardwood isn't really needed as the pipe swells and builds that layer of carbon.. But I still wouldn't use water. I had one that was kind of loose and I believe the hot water helped it come apart.