PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
I haven't been smoking as much lately for one reason and the other, but while the kids are away with grandparents I've been treating myself to more time with a pipe. I had picked up a couple of estate bent briars and been smoking them with some frustration, but yesterday I decided to pick my cobs back up. They really are so easy to smoke. I've had fewer relights and much less dottle. It's just been pleasant.

Today I tossed my newly arrived Picayune Pancake into a cob and enjoyed it with blueberry coffee from a local coffee roaster while looking over the Sunday school lesson for this weekend, and the whole experience felt less fiddly and more relaxing than it has in a while. It was so nice that after lunch I took the same combo out on the deck again.

I mostly lurk, but I just wanted to say again how much I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and enthusiasm.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Can't beat a cob, reach for mine on a regular basis when working outside
This is the kinda love that damns cobs with faint praise - “when working outside”, “when going for a walk”, ”when I’m in my truck”, “when I’m fishing” :rolleyes:

How about ”when it’s a choice between my 1888 Barling magnum and a cob, the cob wins hands down. Every time ! ”
THAT is cob love ;)
puffy 😁

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
This is the kinda love that damns cobs with faint praise - “when working outside”, “when going for a walk”, ”when I’m in my truck”, “when I’m fishing” :rolleyes:

How about ”when it’s a choice between my 1888 Barling magnum and a cob, the cob wins hands down. Every time ! ”
THAT is cob love ;)
puffy 😁
I agree. Take your durandu barling fishing and then let us know which you prefer.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Cobs are awsome, and if you want to customize them to your liking a lil more it's not that much. I belive your better off upgrading a cob for like $50 compared to buying a $75 briar that burns your hand and makes your blends taste bad. The "Elite" line of missouri meerschaum are a bit more pricy then the basics but are well worth it. If you want to go even more cob crazy you can have a cob custome made to your liking. Many ways to go cob crazy if your so inclined.

JoeW

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
After 3 months I’m up to 3 briars, but most of the time I use the MM Legend. I took it out this morning with some Chocolate Supreme, and it seemed to stay lit and taste better than my estate briar did. That’s all anecdotal, of course, but it felt that way. I think it feels like the cob performs better because I expect less of it…maybe?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Take your durandu barling fishing and then let us know which you prefer.
Sitting on the verandah rather than waist deep in a trout stream
Taking out the 1898 Barling Durandu Kalmasch and an MM cob.

With bowls of Dunhill Durbar

IMG_7957.jpeg

The Barling is a hefty hunk of briar. The thick walls meant it never got past warm. Despite its heft, the bent stem made it an easy clench. In fact it rested very comfortably on the chest for most of the smoke.

IMG_7955.jpeg

The cob, despite being lighter, was not a clencher. It too smoked cool. But its open draw resulted in some loss of flavour.

The Barling’s tighter draw brought out nuances in the Durbar that was missing from the cob - altogether a much more enjoyable bowl.

While the silverwork is an admirable feature of the Barling, it is really an implement for the age of servants and valets - polishing all that bling is best left to Jeeves 😏

The cob is so much more practical.
I can see why the no nonsense vibe of cobs appeals to so many

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Sitting on the verandah rather than waist deep in a trout stream
Taking out the 1898 Barling Durandu Kalmasch and an MM cob.

With bowls of Dunhill Durbar

View attachment 315761

The Barling is a hefty hunk of briar. The thick walls meant it never got past warm. Despite its heft, the bent stem made it an easy clench. In fact it rested very comfortably on the chest for most of the smoke.

View attachment 315762

The cob, despite being lighter, was not a clencher. It too smoked cool. But its open draw resulted in some loss of flavour.

The Barling’s tighter draw brought out nuances in the Durbar that was missing from the cob - altogether a much more enjoyable bowl.

While the silverwork is an admirable feature of the Barling, it is really an implement for the age of servants and valets - polishing all that bling is best left to Jeeves 😏

The cob is so much more practical.
I can see why the no nonsense vibe of cobs appeals to so many
I don't think it has anything to do with the way a cob smokes but more the price point between the 2. The barling is worth at least 20× the price of the pictured cob. I can see the century old pipe that in that time was a masterpiece of pipe smoking, smoking better then almost any pipe from the "now". Yet that cob can be had "now" for less then 2 cups of coffee at the local Starbucks. That in my opinion is the only reason a cob is so good, price point and smokability. I can carve a pipe out of Pinion wood or cedar with the same specs of a cob, but it will most definitely not smoke as good.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But its open draw resulted in some loss of flavour.

That can be alleviated with a tighter packing. For me a tight draw results in hotter, flavorless smoke and relights. A draw with zero resistance is where I find perfection.

johnnyflake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
Cobs have been my go-to pipes for many years now! Meerschaums a close second and Briars lastly.
Cobs are just easiest to smoke and for me the tobacco seems brighter in a Cob. I have said this many times in past years and I'll say it again, a number of tobaccos taste different to me in a Cob than they do in other pipes. I'll say that Va/Pers are well represented on that list. Briars are my favorite for English Blends.