PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Whenever I return from a smoking hiatus, I rediscover a few things about my preferences:

1. I love uncomplicated tobaccos. OTCs and OTC-inspired blends are enduring favorites. I like flakes, but sometimes find myself wrestling with packing and sustaining a lit bowl over time.

2. Red Virginias torch my tongue. Aging and proper bowl pairing can mitigate bite, but I can't eliminate it completely.

3. To this point of this post: I can't duplicate the experience of smoking a quality OTC-type blend in a Missouri Meerschaum. Years ago, I inherited a very nice pipe collection from an uncle. Perhaps I have yet to master the art of bowl/baccy pairing, but the ease with which I can smoke a MM compared to everything else is oddly discouraging.

1 and 2 are realities to which I can happily submit; but after all these years, I'm still trying to enjoy a fuller range of pipes as much as a MM.

Thoughts? Advice?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
MM have a wide open draw and are very forgiving to smoke. If they work for you, stick with them. Work on drying, packing and Smoking technique for the others.

Is also possible your uncle smoked blends that left a strong ghost that's not agreeing with you. Use one of the recommended methods for deep cleaning, then try them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is some advice, don't go near red Virginia blends. I too get that acid burn the minute the smoke hits my tongue. I managed to build a cellar of around 38 flakes and plugs and the only one that has any reds is Solani 660 Silver flake. If I smoke a small bowl first of the day with it, I can enjoy it and my tongue doesn't feel like acid was brushed on it.

If you are ever in need of a list just let me know.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
Is also possible your uncle smoked blends that left a strong ghost that's not agreeing with you. Use one of the recommended methods for deep cleaning, then try them.
I’ve been thinking about this. For decades, he smoked Cavendish blends almost exclusively. Dunhill A-21000 was his persistent favorite. And he rarely, if ever, cleaned his pipes. I have attempted to deep clean many of them, as they would often yield an ashy flavor. Perhaps they deserve another round of deep cleaning!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
he rarely, if ever, cleaned his pipes.
they would often yield an ashy flavor. Perhaps they deserve another round of deep cleaning!
Yup, definitely.

Ream out the cake and leave only a very thin layer.
Clean the bejeebus out of the shank, mortise and stem with shank brushes or bristle cleaners. Use alcohol-soaked brushes until they come out clean. This is THE most important step in deep cleaning any pipe (in my opinion).
Fill the bowl with salt or cotton balls and soak with a clear spirit or Everclear and leave overnight. Repeat if necessary.

The pipe should be ready to enjoy after that.
If it still doesn't do it for you, stick with cobs. ?

Reactions: Merton and BROBS

Es0teric

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2021
Downriver Area of Michigan
The wide open draw on an MM cob puts a meerschaum to shame.
I wasn't referring to anything about draw. I was saying it more for flavor of the tobacco. Maybe he is like me and just can't get solid, pure flavor from a briar pipe of any kind. I only enjoy smoking meerschaum or corn cob pipes. Every time I smoke one of my briars I feel like the flavor of the tobacco is muted and harsh. You are correct though, nothing beats the draw of a MM.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I’ve been thinking about this. For decades, he smoked Cavendish blends almost exclusively. Dunhill A-21000 was his persistent favorite. And he rarely, if ever, cleaned his pipes. I have attempted to deep clean many of them, as they would often yield an ashy flavor. Perhaps they deserve another round of deep cleaning!
In that case, you might want to ream out as much cake as you can.

and there’s nothing wrong with a good cob

Mar 1, 2014
Whenever I return from a smoking hiatus, I rediscover a few things about my preferences:

1. I love uncomplicated tobaccos. OTCs and OTC-inspired blends are enduring favorites. I like flakes, but sometimes find myself wrestling with packing and sustaining a lit bowl over time.

2. Red Virginias torch my tongue. Aging and proper bowl pairing can mitigate bite, but I can't eliminate it completely.

3. To this point of this post: I can't duplicate the experience of smoking a quality OTC-type blend in a Missouri Meerschaum. Years ago, I inherited a very nice pipe collection from an uncle. Perhaps I have yet to master the art of bowl/baccy pairing, but the ease with which I can smoke a MM compared to everything else is oddly discouraging.

1 and 2 are realities to which I can happily submit; but after all these years, I'm still trying to enjoy a fuller range of pipes as much as a MM.

Thoughts? Advice?

Missouri Meerschaum keeps a more open draw than almost any Briar manufacturer ever has, if you like the Cob then almost any Briar pipe you might have will probably need to be re-drilled to open the draw similarly.