PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I personally wanted a "Cob" because of Popeye (when I was younger), but after I started actually smoking a pipe it was all Briar and Meer. After about a year I went to the local drug store and saw an MM Cob for $7 and couldn't resist, it gives a sweetness to any tobacco without any "tongue bite".They not only make a great American Product but they make it affordable for ANYONE.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm new to the hobby, myself. As with so many other things, the dictum "you get what you pay for" holds true in the pipe world - you can get a decent smoking briar pipe for relatively little money, but there are clear differences between various price points, just as there are with musical instruments or cars or sporting goods. Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes were a very pleasant surprise to me. I had grown up with images of Al Capp's Dogpatch, and assumed that corncob pipes were cheap, disposable, and the sort of thing people smoked because they couldn't afford anything better. Boy, was I wrong. While they are certainly inexpensive to the point of being disposable, they provide a very pleasant smoking experience, and are remarkably forgiving for the novice pipe smoker. They don't require the break-in period that briar pipes do, and they don't seem to impart any flavors to the tobacco (at least I haven't noticed if they do - but I'm new at this, as noted...). I've been very happy with my Missouri Meerschaum purchases, and with the money I've saved on pipes, I can afford to experiment with a wider variety of tobaccos while I'm learning!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I'm a briar man, but a good friend gifted me a Missouri Meerschaum General and when I smoke it I harken back to earlier days. It is a pipe that I can see my Great Grandpa smoking and though I never knew the man it gives me a connection to him, as he was a pipe smoker. The pipe itself smokes long and cool and is very well made, I could see this pipe truly lasting a lifetime and passing to my future generations.

misu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 30, 2013
I'm brand new to smoking pipes. A kind gentleman, mikephillips, said to go to MM. He, and many others here, said a cob would be a good pipe to try different tobaccos in. They said highly recommended Missouri Meerschaum. I like the MM company itself. They shipped what I ordered packaged well and fast. I like their pipes because, to me, they smoke nice. I bought a grab bag and a couple other pipes. I've smoked about 5 different tobaccos, in as many different CC pipes. All with good results. My quest is to get them all to look like KB7get's.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
There's no pretense inside or outside the bowl. There's the cob, the tobacco, and the smoker. It may not be the most efficient or prettiest smoker, but I'm certain that, with my cob, I'll get a true impression of the tobacco from first light.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
I tell people they can spend a $500 on one of the best pipes in the world, or $5 on the second best pipe in the world. There probably is something that smokes better, but I've never had it.
In the same vein, my beard is pretty sexy, but I only tell people it's the second sexiest in the world, because lets be honest, there's probably ONE guy out there with a better one.
I had a MM hardwood that I bought a few years back but didn't realize it was an MM until recently. For about 5 years everytime I reached for a pipe I would choose that one, it drove me crazy that my favorite pipe was also my cheapest, but I didn't fight it...
Anyhoo... still love the thing.

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
Okay, I just read over most of these comments.
Almost everyone says, "A great smoke for the price!"
But I fully disagree, that's like saying "You look good.... you know...for your age..."
No needed disclaimer. They're a dang good smoke. Best draw of any pipe I own. Thats what I love about them. The cool, easy draw. I do wish MM themselves sold vulcanite stems though...

Status
Not open for further replies.