Missions to Mars: Are they Really Such a Good Thing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I think mars missions are a ridiculous waste of time and money and should be cancelled until we explore more than a tiny percentage of our oceans, feed hungry people on earth, and work on maybe going to the moon again first.

Also, I am highly dissatisfied with the crap b&w grainy footage they are showing, haven't we improved our photography and communication technology in the last 50 years? If NASA wants people to take them seriously and stop making up silly conspiracy theories about them they should at least provide decent footage that wouldn't be easy to fake.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Alas, in my community it’s almost impossible to convince anyone that COVID is a threat or to even wear a mask. Trying to get them to think about Martian viruses or bacteria, germs or even little green men or Terminators is just so far outside the realm of feasibility so as to be impossible. ?

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I personally am extremely excited about the Mars efforts. Sojourner, Spirit, Opportunity, Curiosity, and now Perseverance have all tightened the windows on autonomous landings and targeting. With 12-minute delay in the speed of light from Mars to Earth, we need improving autonomous technology. In 2022, project Dart will ram a spacecraft into a meteor to see if we can deflect it from its course. That developing technology may well save our species some day.

The 8-minute video below is worth a watch. Mark Rober, the guy int he video, worked for NASA at JPL for nine years. He has a ton of science, engineering, and construction videos that are awesome to watch, especially for kids. His drone video, representing the scale of our solar system was awesome.

Is NASA a waste of money?

I got to hold a moon rock as a kid and a NASA dreamer, which carried the same concerns prior to 1969. No weird viruses from that, although they were all kept in isolation for a lot testing prior to release.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been a lot of places over the years, both with the Navy and before and after in civilian life. I'm not world traveler, like a friend who wintered over in Siberia and met her third husband in the Amazon. But this planet offers all the far reaches and exotic places I care to see. If Earth colonized another planet, or several, and raised children there, I doubt they would transplant back to Earth easily. All their memories and loyalties would be living in a terrarium on chemically generated oxygen. All these tall trees and terrifying squirrels would be traumatic to them. Even the bold among us are averse to change, to a degree.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
"There are benefits to learning about what’s out there."

I agree 100%, we have already learned much and will of course learn much more. My only concern is the bringing back of bacteria of which we know little or nothing about.

Such bacteria could have the potential to be very dangerous to mankind. What precautions have been taken if indeed any have?

Look what happened when non native species of animals or plants have been introduced in places where they were never known to have lived. In most cases it had a detrimental effect to the native species.

This is not science fiction, this is science fact.

Regards,

Jay.?

Neither of those books I mentioned put Humans messing with things they find in space that we don't understand in a positive light. Especially the Expanse; the writers of which put a lot of effort into making it scientifically accurate. It explores human nature through that lens, the idea of "can we" vs "should we" is a major theme in there. The whole picture it paints and the idea of expanding to human life in space and the danger and consequences of what; well it's kind of a bacteria, is found in those books is grim, dirty, and scary. Shit breaks bad fast and keeps on going. Felt very based in reality to me.

While I said I agree that there are benefits and good possibilities to studying these things, I also agree that there is a serious danger and we shouldn't without real caution and thought be exposed to it. Do I think that means we shouldn't investigate it at all? Also no.

I also agree with the folks who are saying we've got enough problems down here that need serious addressing. Do I think a small branch of people with somewhat limited resources (compared to other branches of the scientific community) working on exploring off the earth and learning about the universe and our place in it is detracting from that? Not really. There are plenty of people also working hard to solve the problems we have down here, there's no reason both projects can't exist at the same time, and the truth is they do.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I've been a lot of places over the years, both with the Navy and before and after in civilian life. I'm not world traveler, like a friend who wintered over in Siberia and met her third husband in the Amazon. But this planet offers all the far reaches and exotic places I care to see. If Earth colonized another planet, or several, and raised children there, I doubt they would transplant back to Earth easily. All their memories and loyalties would be living in a terrarium on chemically generated oxygen. All these tall trees and terrifying squirrels would be traumatic to them. Even the bold among us are averse to change, to a degree.

? Yes! I love thinking about this idea!

Not to keep being a shouting nerd about the Expanse books, but this is also a huge theme in them. How living off Earth affects our cultures and bodies, how it changes but also repeats the shared experience we all have as humans. Exobiology, artificial and unique ecosystems, all stuff that is addressed. Alright gonna get off my nerd soapbox about these books now. puffy

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
When I was younger I had a subscription to Asimov's Science Fiction periodical, there was a short story in there that poignantly portrayed the grim realities of living and working in space, if even in earth orbit. It is extremely detrimental to your health and well being, causing loss in bone density, organ damage, circulation issues, and working outside earth's protective fields raises risk of cancers by something like 3000%.

Look at the astronauts that spent anything over a few days on the ISS, they are messed up for months afterwards.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Over the last few weeks much has been made in the media of various efforts to land on Mars made by several countries.

Though I applaud the technological achievements involved I have very serious misgivings about their missions, or specifically the desire to bring back to Earth samples of bacteria allegedly living on the surface of the 'Red Planet'.

Now I've never been one to follow conspiracy theories but I do have genuine concern that what is brought back may well have a detrimental impact on life on this planet. What if at some time in the distant past life of some greater form actually thrived up there but was wiped out by the very bacteria they wish to collect and bring back here?

I sincerely hope the powers that be have thought this one out and have some sort of provisions in place should it all go pear shaped!

Regards,

Jay.?
I see what you're saying, but I'll also point out that we as humans have been doing an excellent job over the past couple of hundred years at having a detrimental impact on life on Earth. Hard to see how some micro-organisms on Mars will change that. I doubt life in a more complex form ever developed there as we would probably have some evidence of that by now, considering the amount of interest and exploration on that planet in the past few decades.

My concern with our obsession with Mars and visitation to other planets is that I think these hugely expensive missions sometimes take resources away from other scientific endeavors that can be equally fruitful and much more financially efficient.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
OP - “What if at some time in the distant past life of some greater form actually thrived up there but was wiped out by the very bacteria they wish to collect and bring back here?”

Grangers - “What if a frog had pockets? Wouldn’t he carry a pistol to keep the snakes away?”

And besides.. the last Mars lander photographed......

THIS
View attachment 66883

And this...DF07D02E-3454-4078-9211-1D6852247839.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.