PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Eduard

Lurker
Feb 22, 2022
Yerevan, Armenia
Title edited for caps, clarity and brevity. -jpm

It's a very old pipe of my grandfather and I want to revive it.
Please help me with that hole to deal with gurgling so that pipe can be smoked. It's a handmade pipe so no filter matches for it.
In the pictures you can see the actual hole and I marked where it should be drilled I think because when I insert pipe cleaner it comes to that position. Also the vulcanite stem became like green and I would like to repair that too. Anyone can help me? Thank you very much.PXL_20220222_124311033.jpgPXL_20220222_124500932.jpgPXL_20220222_124357108.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
For the stem you can soak it in an Oxyclean water mixture for about an hour then scrub it with a Magic Eraser to remove the oxidation. Then rub some mineral oil on it after each use to keep the oxidation from returning. If you want it really smooth and shiny you will need to buy micro mesh pads and use the high grit ones to buff it. I'm not sure I'd try to redrill the airway though. Some pipes just gurgle. Drying the tobacco and smoking slowly can really help with that. If your grandfather smoked it either it didn't bother him or he had a way to smoke it without it gurgling.

Eduard

Lurker
Feb 22, 2022
Yerevan, Armenia
I will try the method with stem you said. My grandfather did not smoke he just had this pipe as a gift. I tried to smoke it very slowly and the moisture just went into my mouth. It was such a disgusting experience that I don't want to repeat it :D

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
George Dibos has posted several YT videos on how to best clean up a vulcanite stem. I'd avoid using Oxyclean as it can pit the rubber. You'll need some wet/dry sandpaper and micromesh pads. Good Luck

Eduard

Lurker
Feb 22, 2022
Yerevan, Armenia
For the stem you can soak it in an Oxyclean water mixture for about an hour then scrub it with a Magic Eraser to remove the oxidation. Then rub some mineral oil on it after each use to keep the oxidation from returning. If you want it really smooth and shiny you will need to buy micro mesh pads and use the high grit ones to buff it. I'm not sure I'd try to redrill the airway though. Some pipes just gurgle. Drying the tobacco and smoking slowly can really help with that. If your grandfather smoked it either it didn't bother him or he had a way to smoke it without it gurgling.
You think redrilling the pipe will cause a big damage so I can crack the pipe? I just don't know how to fill the existing hole.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
You think redrilling the pipe will cause a big damage so I can crack the pipe? I just don't know how to fill the existing hole.
I would be concerned with not getting the new airway in the proper spot in the bowl, plus having to fill the existing hole and having that fill be structurally sound. It would have to expand and contract at the same rate as the briar around it so it wouldn't fail. I'm sure what you want is possible, but I would let that to a professional pipe maker or restorer.

Eduard

Lurker
Feb 22, 2022
Yerevan, Armenia
I would be concerned with not getting the new airway in the proper spot in the bowl, plus having to fill the existing hole and having that fill be structurally sound. It would have to expand and contract at the same rate as the briar around it so it wouldn't fail. I'm sure what you want is possible, but I would let that to a professional pipe maker or restorer.
Ok I will try to find a pipe maker near me. Guess there are not many of them :D

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Ok I will try to find a pipe maker near me. Guess there are not many of them :D
I'm sure you'll get some recommendations from some of the folks here that have done work on their pipes or who you might send them to in order to modify it. Good luck, its a nice looking pipe.

Eduard

Lurker
Feb 22, 2022
Yerevan, Armenia
I'm sure you'll get some recommendations from some of the folks here that have done work on their pipes or who you might send them to in order to modify it. Good luck, its a nice looking pipe.
Thank you very much. The problem is I live in Armenia and maybe I'll try to send the pipe by post office to somewhere where there is a good pipe maker.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 25, 2021
England
Pipes do not gurgle, but some smokers cause them to.
If you don't want the pipe to gurgle, then set yourself a target of smoking without gurgling.
Teach yourself, and don't listen to any advice,
May not take you all that long.
Good luck.

• Wow
Reactions: Eduard