PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Anyone else play?

I'm currently working on some models for Warhammer The Horus Heresy. I ran out of paint and my ink wash so I couldn't finish these tonight but i figured i could post a WIP.

Attachments

• IMG_6245.JPG
    IMG_6245.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6244.JPG
    IMG_6244.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6243.JPG
    IMG_6243.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6242.JPG
    IMG_6242.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 21

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I had an NCO that played this game when I was in the army. He had those dentist’s glasses with the little magnifiers on them and would paint those things during an entire CQ shift.

I’ve never done it and don’t really know what it entails, but he described these massive, homemade game boards and playing a game that’d last days on end.

Certainly seems to require some dedication and commitment!

Reactions: vosBghos and scloyd

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I had an NCO that played this game when I was in the army. He had those dentist’s glasses with the little magnifiers on them and would paint those things during an entire CQ shift.

I’ve never done it and don’t really know what it entails, but he described these massive, homemade game boards and playing a game that’d last days on end.

Certainly seems to require some dedication and commitment!
I have a friend who is heavily involved in this using the Napoleonic Wars as his patterns. He has a room dedicated to this and quite honestly it’s mind blowing.

He also has a room dedicated to Dungeons and Dragons.

The amount of time he dedicates to these two hobbies is staggering.

Neither are my thing, I know zero about Dungeons and Dragons but he likes bourbon, so he’s good in my books.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Yeah, it was insane to see the level this guy took it to, as well. It was certainly admirable, just not my thing.

I swear he had a paintbrush with like a single bristle on it and was painting facial details onto a figurine that couldn’t have been more than an inch in height. He carried them all in Pelican cases with foam cutouts for each of them. You could tell he was as serious about that hobby as anyone could be about any hobby.

It honestly looked like just the painting and model work that he did could have been a hobby in its own right; but to realize that the painting and building and all of that was just to make the game pieces? Amazing.

AvgKsHunter

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2023
Tried 40k (painted up a large death guard army) but didn’t care for it. I think it was more to do with the model count and scale of game itself. I do, however, like skirmish games like Frostgrave, Forbidden Psalms, etc. Also play DnD. Still, painting miniatures is something I probably do more than getting them to an actual game. Therapeutic hobby for me E72E1C8C-3386-4AB8-9CB4-E34D586EDEF9.jpeg0ECD228F-2685-4DFB-9312-76FB4ED6DE31.jpeg

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I play D&D and a few other role playing games. I really like the miniatures and used to have quite a few as a teen. I just can't afford to dive into that wing of the hobby. The source books are not cheap as it is. Besides, I spent all my money on pipes and tobacco... lol
I have a group that still meets to play under a hybrid 1.0/2.0 ruleset twice a month. It's all available on archive.org without cost. I still have all my stuff from the 70s and 80s though.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Never got to play 40k. I did have a boxset of regular WH that we never tried out; only used the minis for DnD 2nd ed. I did have hundreds of Reaper minis that I painted and used for DnD way back in the early 2000s. Also had some Ral Partha stuff.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Ral Partha and Humbrol paints; this is the way.
The figures were just classic looking. I found an unopened rack when I was a kid and a paint kit so that’s how I started back in 2000 when i was like 14/15ish. I donated my figures to the university of dayton gaming society in 2012 and sold most of my original library. They even got the unopened Ral Partha stuff I still had.

Reactions: Elric and vosBghos

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I haven’t played any games in years but I still buy dungeons and dragons books to read and I paint miniatures from time to time. I always did way more painting than playing when I came to war games. It’s hard for me to break away from the kids to paint or game but I’ve been chipping away at some Blood Bowl miniatures lately. I recently painted this.
7D2E8382-93A9-49B3-9D7F-AFF32903CA45.jpeg

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Have been an avid 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons player since I was a kid. That being said, I avoid Warhammer and minifigures like the plague. People seem to get absolutely obsessed with it, so I guess I’m just worried about catching the bug. That and I’ve never been crazy about mini-figures, also Warhammer is goddamn expensive.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Anyone else play?

I'm currently working on some models for Warhammer The Horus Heresy. I ran out of paint and my ink wash so I couldn't finish these tonight but i figured i could post a WIP.
The Warhammer bug has bitten me, as my son and his friends got into kill team and they don't have anywhere to play so off to Walmart to buy a table and chairs and set them up a space. A good friend who's sons hang out with mine played back in college and was all let's destroy our kids (all in good fun) I picked Black Templars and he picked Castodes. So it's on, but dam I had no idea the investment I know own about 12 k (points) of minis and an airbrush. and I'm building up a whole new library of codexes and core books.

Keep posting your progress and I'll do the same.

Attachments

• Painting vow.jpeg
    Painting vow.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 7

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Tried 40k (painted up a large death guard army) but didn’t care for it. I think it was more to do with the model count and scale of game itself. I do, however, like skirmish games like Frostgrave, Forbidden Psalms, etc. Also play DnD. Still, painting miniatures is something I probably do more than getting them to an actual game. Therapeutic hobby for me View attachment 212187View attachment 212188
Kill Team can be a pretty fun Skirmish pick up game too , usually only 10 er so operatives all specialized , I book one box and off you go