PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Are their any fellow current serving military members in here? If so please post where you are stationed. Your MOS, your top 5 tobaccos, and the pipes you own.

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
Not currently serving, so I can' directly answer your questions, but I do remember many years ago (long before I enjoyed my first bowl) I had a squad leader in my platoon who was the only pipeman among all the other tobacco users. He had a black leather "holster" for his straight billiard which he wore on the belt of his fatigues (the old OG507, shirt-tucked-in variety). I had no objection to this modification of the uniform and always thought it lent him a certain dignity which set him apart from his fellow NCOs.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Not currently serving, so I can' directly answer your questions, but I do remember many years ago (long before I enjoyed my first bowl) I had a squad leader in my platoon who was the only pipeman among all the other tobacco users. He had a black leather "holster" for his straight billiard which he wore on the belt of his fatigues (the old OG507, shirt-tucked-in variety). I had no objection to this modification of the uniform and always thought it lent him a certain dignity which set him apart from his fellow NCOs.

What unit were you in? When did you serve? What do you currently smoke ? I am the only pipe smoker in my current unit. I am in 1st calv currently deployed in Korea. Thank you for your service

Reactions: Lyle b

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
Thank YOU for your service! At the time, I was in the 980th Engineer Battalion (Combat Heavy), a reserve unit in the North Texas area. I was in D Company out of Dallas. This was about 1983 - 85. Obviously, I was a combat engineer, MOS 21j at the time (later changed to 21b). What's your specialty? Subsequently, I started on this lovely hobby February of 2015, and have treated my PAD with about 23 pipes so far. I smoke them in a rotation, one or two bowls a week, usually on the weekends. Oh yeah, an old but restored gourd calabash is among them, and it smokes beautifully! I also enjoy (suffer from? inflict upon my wife?) TAD. My latest acquisition is a tin Cornell & Diehl Black Frigate, which is amazing, but such a strong nic hit that I have to be careful not to drive anywhere for half an hour or so after smoking a bowl! :LOL: My nominal favorite is something I get from my local Tobacconist which he calls "Watson's Blend", similar to McClelland's 221b series "Arcadia". I also really enjoy Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (Virginia-Perique) of which I bought a 1.43 pound package a couple of years ago and still have most of it. Two others to round out the top five: Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening and good ol' Virginia Gold, a less expensive over-the-counter blend that I really enjoy.
I should note that my son-in-law started up his hobby before I did, was one element of my decision to take it up, then married my daughter and enlisted in the Marines (not in that order). He is stationed in Hawaii where he continues to enjoy his pipes, even taking one the I gave him on deployment! He really enjoys Autumn Evening and Virginia Gold (he actually introduced it to me) and his most recent acquisition is a meerschaum carved as a dragon claw holding a skull given to him for Father's Day by my daughter which he says smokes amazingly well.
Take care of yourself over there, Trooper. Stay safe and happy puffin'!

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Repeating captaincalabash, thank YOU for your service. Former Army here, 2-14 10th Mountain. Just a humble 11 Bravo. I picked up the cigarette habit in the Army, mostly Camels. Didn’t see any pipe smokers save the battalion CO but he never smoked it, just clenched it. Quit smoking cigs a few years ago and one day I found my grandpa’s old briar pipe and remembering some fond memories of the aromas bought a can of Granger. I have never looked back since.

I keep a lot of cobs. I have several kids so I’m severely limited when it comes to buying pipes. I have about six briars, four moderately priced and two estates. Tobacco wise I’m all over the place so I can’t be pinned down. But I do like my Granger, my Westminster, Father Dempsey’s, Fusilier’s Ration, Tabac Manil Semois, and Luxury Bullseye Flake. I’m soon about to delve into the murky depths of balkan blends starting out out with Hearth & Home Marquee Whiteknight.

Keep your pot on and stay safe.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
When I was in Yongsan, Dunhill tins were 4.25 at the main PX. My boss, a CW4, used to take me to the old Swedish Embassy at least one weekend a month. He had a pal there who got us in to most social occasions. The best booze, Cuban cigars, and at least three pipe smokers stationed there.
That’s where I learned the value of McClelland tobacco - those boys would give a box of Cubans for a tin of Dark Star or Oriental #14.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
When I was in Yongsan, Dunhill tins were 4.25 at the main PX. My boss, a CW4, used to take me to the old Swedish Embassy at least one weekend a month. He had a pal there who got us in to most social occasions. The best booze, Cuban cigars, and at least three pipe smokers stationed there.
That’s where I learned the value of McClelland tobacco - those boys would give a box of Cubans for a tin of Dark Star or Oriental #14.
By Yongsan, do you mean South Korea?

Reactions: thebigragu

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Thank YOU for your service! At the time, I was in the 980th Engineer Battalion (Combat Heavy), a reserve unit in the North Texas area. I was in D Company out of Dallas. This was about 1983 - 85. Obviously, I was a combat engineer, MOS 21j at the time (later changed to 21b). What's your specialty? Subsequently, I started on this lovely hobby February of 2015, and have treated my PAD with about 23 pipes so far. I smoke them in a rotation, one or two bowls a week, usually on the weekends. Oh yeah, an old but restored gourd calabash is among them, and it smokes beautifully! I also enjoy (suffer from? inflict upon my wife?) TAD. My latest acquisition is a tin Cornell & Diehl Black Frigate, which is amazing, but such a strong nic hit that I have to be careful not to drive anywhere for half an hour or so after smoking a bowl! :LOL: My nominal favorite is something I get from my local Tobacconist which he calls "Watson's Blend", similar to McClelland's 221b series "Arcadia". I also really enjoy Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (Virginia-Perique) of which I bought a 1.43 pound package a couple of years ago and still have most of it. Two others to round out the top five: Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening and good ol' Virginia Gold, a less expensive over-the-counter blend that I really enjoy.
I should note that my son-in-law started up his hobby before I did, was one element of my decision to take it up, then married my daughter and enlisted in the Marines (not in that order). He is stationed in Hawaii where he continues to enjoy his pipes, even taking one the I gave him on deployment! He really enjoys Autumn Evening and Virginia Gold (he actually introduced it to me) and his most recent acquisition is a meerschaum carved as a dragon claw holding a skull given to him for Father's Day by my daughter which he says smokes amazingly well.
Take care of yourself over there, Trooper. Stay safe and happy puffin'!
I am a 91 Bravo whivh is now a wheeled vehicle mechanic my fqvorite is McClellan Frog Morton Cellar I stocked up before They closed up. I recently got 2 tins of SPC plum pudding which I like allot

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
That was relocated to camp Humphreys where I am currently deployed to. Tey are going to return most of that land to the Korean government, but are going to keep the Dragon Hill lodge and some of the land to build a new U.S Embassy
I had no idea. Makes sense though, that was some prime real estate.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was in the Navy during Vietnam, in the "zone," on a minesweeper (MSO 489, USS Gallant). One of those wars school kids try to guess whether it was before or after the Korean War. I was a radioman, then the second half of my hitch, a journalist. It's a complicated story relating to Admiral Zumwalt, then the NCO.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
What unit were you in? When did you serve? What do you currently smoke ? I am the only pipe smoker in my current unit. I am in 1st calv currently deployed in Korea. Thank you for your service

This is a side note, but I am interested to know that the First Calvery is back in Korea. I served in the 1st Calv in 1964 when I was first sent to South Korea. During 1965 the unit organization was transferred to Vietnam and we became part of 4th Army. Now it appears that the unit is back in the land of the Frozen Choson.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
We
This is a side note, but I am interested to know that the First Calvery is back in Korea. I served in the 1st Calv in 1964 when I was first sent to South Korea. During 1965 the unit organization was transferred to Vietnam and we became part of 4th Army. Now it appears that the unit is back in the land of the Frozen Choson.
What unit in first calv weher you in? Im part of 2-7. We are here on rotation for 9 months as a armed support to the units that are stationed here then we get back to the states for a few months yhen go to Poland.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I was also in 2nd of the 7th and was a Supply officer in a forward support company for several Infantry battalions. Our little compound of Camp McKenzie was in the middle of a rice paddy just north of Munsan and about 8 miles south of the DMZ. We went to sleep every night with the faint sound of the loudspeakers on the north side of the line broadcasting propaganda. My son was stationed in Seoul in 2011 and my wife and I visited him over Christmas. I asked about the compound at Munsan and was told that's all part of the northern suburbs of Seoul now.

During my tour in South Korea from November 1964 to December 1965, the country was still devastated from the Korean war. The village of Munsan was a collection of shacks on a dirt road whose primary source of income came from the GIs stationed nearby. The nature of the goods and services offered is probably not suitable for a public forum. The countryside was terraced rice paddies dotted with mud plaster houses with thatched roofs. It was scenic but very humble. Seoul was only partly recovered. When I went back for the first time after my tour it was amazing to see the prosperous modern city of Seoul with its high rise glass towers looking much more like Tokyo than the ramshackle city of 1965. Times have changed for the better, at least in the south.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
I was also in 2nd of the 7th and was a Supply officer in a forward support company for several Infantry battalions. Our little compound of Camp McKenzie was in the middle of a rice paddy just north of Munsan and about 8 miles south of the DMZ. We went to sleep every night with the faint sound of the loudspeakers on the north side of the line broadcasting propaganda. My son was stationed in Seoul in 2011 and my wife and I visited him over Christmas. I asked about the compound at Munsan and was told that's all part of the northern suburbs of Seoul now.

During my tour in South Korea from November 1964 to December 1965, the country was still devastated from the Korean war. The village of Munsan was a collection of shacks on a dirt road whose primary source of income came from the GIs stationed nearby. The nature of the goods and services offered is probably not suitable for a public forum. The countryside was terraced rice paddies dotted with mud plaster houses with thatched roofs. It was scenic but very humble. Seoul was only partly recovered. When I went back for the first time after my tour it was amazing to see the prosperous modern city of Seoul with its high rise glass towers looking much more like Tokyo than the ramshackle city of 1965. Times have changed for the better, at least in the south.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.
Wow thanks for sharing that amazing story and thank you for your service is

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Wow hello sirs. I'm a Korean serving in the 1st ID Army of my country. @tulsagentleman I'm stationed at Munsan right now! I'm in charge of giving English and Korean briefs at the Third Tunnel (an infiltration tunnel dug across the DMZ in the 70s by NK) and OP Dora (the closest observatory to NK in the western frontline) to both military guys and ordinary tourists.
Favorite tobaccos: Amphora Virgnia, Condor, Bob's Chocolate Flake, Cabbie's Mix, Westmorland Slices
Pipes owned: Plenty, but right now I only have a Kaywoodie Flame Grain and a morta poker with me in the barracks.

@jpberg @thebigragu @tulsagentleman thank you so much for your service!

Reactions: jpberg

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Wow hello sirs. I'm a Korean serving in the 1st ID Army of my country. @tulsagentleman I'm stationed at Munsan right now! I'm in charge of giving English and Korean briefs at the Third Tunnel (an infiltration tunnel dug across the DMZ in the 70s by NK) and OP Dora (the closest observatory to NK in the western frontline) to both military guys and ordinary tourists.
Favorite tobaccos: Amphora Virgnia, Condor, Bob's Chocolate Flake, Cabbie's Mix, Westmorland Slices
Pipes owned: Plenty, but right now I only have a Kaywoodie Flame Grain and a morta poker with me in the barracks.

@jpberg @thebigragu @tulsagentleman thank you so much for your service!
are you a member of the katusa or in the ROKA Army? that is like three hours from Camp Humphrey I believe. I only have three pipes and 1 tin of Autmn evening, 2 tins of plum pudding that I had to order online because I left all my stuff in the states

Status
Not open for further replies.