PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Is there a specific term for the type of military mount seen here? Specifically the way the briar is reinforced with a metal ring, not a ferrule but inlaid into the briar. I'll try to find a clearer picture.

002-532-0002.jpg

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I think military mount is still the right name for it, that describes the friction fit of the stem. Its a good point though, the difference in style is enough to warrant its own label. Maybe there is a term for it and I've just never heard it. Modern Military Mount ? Has a ring to it anyway.

May 31, 2012
I've only been piping 1 year now, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but I love military mount pipes & I tried to learn more about them.
I'd call that style you posted a Danish Mount, but that's only my opinion. I think it is a trademark of the Danish School, especially Sixten Ivarsson, there are some early Stanwells made with that same technique.
Here's a pic of a Kurt Huhn pipe called the Nautilus which has that mount:

nautilus6-alt5.jpg

Also, while I'm here I'll go ahead & talk about army mount pipes too, because they're often called military mount when i think they're a little different. I define a military mount as being ferrule/stem of the same material like vulcanite to vulcanite or lucite to lucite and an army mount is vulcanite/lucite stem to naked wood protected with the silver end-cap which emulates the bullet casing of its namesake.
One more thing about military mounts, back in the late 60s/early 70s, they called 'em "grip bits", which sounds pretty cool, over at the great PipePages I found this page from a 1970 Iwan Ries catalog that promotes "friction-grip stems" and describing the listed Army Mounts available as "forerunners of the grip-bit take-over!" which enable the sophisticated pipeman to "keep pace with the revolution in stems"...pretty good stuff!

= )

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Doc, I was only referring to the army mounts that did not have an external ferrule, but instead use an inlaid ring of somekind. I do have a few external ferrule army mount pipes(peterson system, and Ferndown spigot), but lately these "modern military" mounts as Lonestar called them have been tickling my fancy. There's just something about the concentric circles that I find asthetically pleasing. Its a shame that they seem to be limited to high end pipes, the process must be difficult and/or time consuming.
Here's an Axmacher that's matched with plateau

getimagevar.asp

May 31, 2012
Yep, Peterson rules the Army Mount, seen in their catalog as early as 1896! An excerpt from their website:

"The Spigot style evolved from the practice of soldiers in earlier centuries who repaired broken pipes by sliding a used cartridge case over the shank and reinserting the mouthpiece."
Does anyone know what the likely candidate would be regarding proper size cartridge casing as to form the ferrule end-cap?
There was a lot of technological advances in the late 19th century with ammo, particularly the transitioning from larger caliber to smaller caliber. I've seen somewhere an educated guess as to what was actually used for fashioning the ferrule which suggested :

7.92mm Mauser

Lee Enfield - Mk III - 7.7mm

French 8mm rifles
The cartridge casing would have to be the right size to fit the end of the shank!
Here's a pic of a box of well-preserved ammo cartridges from circa 1885:

martin10.jpg

Now,

...I was thinking about it and if you say Danish Mount, it may be confused for Freehand-style stem,

so to refine the term I think Danish Recessed-Ring Mount would be the most accurate!

= )
...here's one of the 1960's Sixten designed Stanwells...

...and on this Bo Nordh you can just barely see the metal ring:

Bo01.jpg

...and this interview with Cornelius Manz shows a bunch of his killer pipes done up in that style.

Although Modern Military Mount does sound good, it's not so much modern as it's taken everbody else time to catch up to Sixten Ivarsson, his importance & impact has been massive.
...here's a great write-up about him.

:

SixtenJapan1.jpg

May 31, 2012
...no, but I've seen Italians refer to m/m pipes as "Danish flock", and the countersunk ring style seems to definitely be of Scandinavian origin.
For more technical reading on this subject, you can find a wealth of info by browsing thru the threads below:
Horn as shank extension

:

metal ring around mortise

:

Mortise Ring Question

:

Stummel Rings???
...it's really amazing how many skilled & talented pipemakers are out there today creating such fine work!

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I was just curious if you coined the term or had heard it before. I think its a perfect description.

I've been experimenting with adding the rings myself. Haven't done it to a finished pipe, but I've inlaid the ring into a rough block just to see how well it works. Pretty easy to do, and I was happy with the results. As soon as I get back into the shop I want to focus on some classic shapes with army mounts.

May 31, 2012
Well I reckon I thunk'd it up, cause I ain't never heard it & it seemed to fit the bill, but it sounds a little OTT eh?
Maybe just saying "military ring-mount" is enough?
I dunno, but after lookin up the pipes you've made, I'd be alot happier if I could do that insteada come up with dumb names for stuff!!!

= )

Status
Not open for further replies.