PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
So I have this basic MM Legend Rob Roy I have been breaking in. I have a number of cobs I smoke, and got to thinking "How hard are these cobs?". I can spare this one!

20200923_182532.jpg

They never sit upright and fall back on the stem, " Maybe I could add a little slant to them bottom..." kinda like a poker.

Well, that threw off the geometry. So I shortened up the shank.

Then I decided that a flatter top might look better now that it's sitting up nicely and balanced.

Now, I have done all types of woodworking, metal work, but never a corncob.

I started out just hand sanding like if you were topping a charred rim on a bowl...Quickly move to the belt sander.

Corn cobs are HARD as heck!

I dare say harder than briar. Strange density to it, like plastic wood if you can imagine that?

If you have ever doubted the density of a cob, or the longevity, don't. Hard as hell!

So here's what I ended up with. Nothing crazy, and I have a new respect for the cob pipe and MM craftsman.

20200923_180818.jpg

20200923_180626.jpg

Smokes well too!

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I bought a bag of seven day seconds from MM and tried my hand at modifying them. Turned out great and I had a blast.
It is fun, not sure if I have the time to do it often. I do like just the classic shapes mostly. But I had some time to kill and was wondering how tough cobs are. You read often on threads questioning the durability or how long they will last.
I was impressed how hard the cob is, I thought it would be more the consistency of particle board.

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
? Heaven forbid some sorely outspoken person for participating on an open forum more than five times per year.

What's more concerning is your awareness or care of my activity here.

I do believe we have assigned moderators if something is inappropriate or in violation of forum rules. I'm sure they do not need volunteers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you have a really good eye for design, at least with cob pipes. If you did it just a little wrong, it would just look mutilated, but this is nice. I just can't go with those stock stems that I chew through in about five smokes, so I equipped my pipes with Forever stems and lately have bought the special editions that come with acrylic stems, still under $25.

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I think you have a really good eye for design, at least with cob pipes. If you did it just a little wrong, it would just look mutilated, but this is nice. I just can't go with those stock stems that I chew through in about five smokes, so I equipped my pipes with Forever stems and lately have bought the special editions that come with acrylic stems, still under $25.
Thanks for the compliments. I agree the plastic stems seem, for lack of a better word, cheap. I think the investment of a forever stem on a cob one be a more suitable addition. Considering how I believe after this little experiment, the cob itself could last nearly indefinitely.

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
The Italian acrylic stems MM deploy on the Carolina Gent, Dagner, Stubby etc really elevate those pipes above the run-of-the-mill cobs. I've picked up all of those and find it hard to smoke my faithful old Legend now. In a similar vein, I've ordered the new 2020 "Pot O' Gold" pipe about which I've read very little on the forums, but which looks to have a similarly improved stem:

St-Pats-Straight-web-e1594928456259.jpg

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
The Italian acrylic stems MM deploy on the Carolina Gent, Dagner, Stubby etc really elevate those pipes above the run-of-the-mill cobs. I've picked up all of those and find it hard to smoke my faithful old Legend now. In a similar vein, I've ordered the new 2020 "Pot O' Gold" pipe about which I've read very little on the forums, but which looks to have a similarly improved stem:

St-Pats-Straight-web-e1594928456259.jpg
For sure those cobs have much nicer stems. I was look at the pot o' gold the other day. Good looking pipe! I like the "Stubby" I think its named, but I believe that one has a plastic stem also, can't remember. Those forever stem are really nice also.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
? Heaven forbid some sorely outspoken person for participating on an open forum more than five times per year.

What's more concerning is your awareness or care of my activity here.

I do believe we have assigned moderators if something is inappropriate or in violation of forum rules. I'm sure they do not need volunteers.
I'm with you, my friend. I'm new here so I'm careful with my opinions, but the response you got seemed unnecessary. I started a clarifying thread titled: binge posting?? But it got locked!