PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I think I mentioned a recipe earlier in the thread, but Black Maria, a very mild English blend, would be my first choice for anyone interested in testing the waters of England. @812Railroader was curious about the blend and wrote me a favorable review of his experiences with it - he was able to buy it at the shop. John Dengler Tobacconist, now LIT, LIT STL Cigar Lounge | United States - https://www.litstc.com still blends it. They ship most everywhere and I would strongly encourage anyone looking for an English Gentleman to try it out. It is an all day smoke, has a wonderful room note that will stop passerby strangers in their tracks with loads of compliments. It won't ghost your pipes and more importantly, will quietly become one of your favorites. I wish more people could experience it. The blend has long been a local favorite of those who live in St. Charles and the surrounding areas and follows the magical proportions of all good blends.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

812Railroader

Lurker
Sep 11, 2024
Evansville, Indiana
I think I mentioned a recipe earlier in the thread, but Black Maria, a very mild English blend, would be my first choice for anyone interested in testing the waters of England. @812Railroader was curious about the blend and wrote me a favorable review of his experiences with it - he was able to buy it at the shop. John Dengler Tobacconist, now LIT, LIT STL Cigar Lounge | United States - https://www.litstc.com still blends it. They ship most everywhere and I would strongly encourage anyone looking for an English Gentleman to try it out. It is an all day smoke, has a wonderful room note that will stop passerby strangers in their tracks with loads of compliments. It won't ghost your pipes and more importantly, will quietly become one of your favorites. I wish more people could experience it. The blend has long been a local favorite of those who live in St. Charles and the surrounding areas and follows the magical proportions of all good blends.
Coincidentally enough, I'm actually smoking a little Black Maria as I type this reply. I just recently started smoking pipes after smoking cigars for a while, and it's my favorite blend yet. Fairly reasonable pricing on it too based on some of the prices I've seen in other B&M shops I've been to. I can't remember how much exactly, but I paid less than $10 out the door for 2 ounces when I was there Tuesday.

Edited to add, I have shared some with a few of my friends, and we all have come to a conclusion that it is a favorite for all of us. I have a feeling that I will be stopping in there a lot more when I'm in St Charles for work now that I have them hooked on the blend

Last edited:

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Good recommendations on this thread. Mr. B’s English Mix in Canada, which I think is Sutliff Medium English in the US, is a good mild English. I also like Seattle Pipe Club Potlatch.

My favourite mild English blends were Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow, BB-1938 and Legend Maritime Morning (Brigham’s EMP match).

I only had a couple tins of those Dunhill blends. They were really good. I tried Peterson Standard Mixture and I didn’t like it as much as the mellow.