PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I had been put off from smoking aromatic tobacco, especially anything cherry flavored, when I first began to experiment with my new MM corn cob from the drug store.
It seemed that NO ONE, except maybe Duane or Cosmic had ever expressed any positive comments on these sorts of tobaccos, and whenever I read one, well, I considered the source.
So, color me surprised when I tell you that I was gifted a pouch of Middleton's Cherry Blend tobacco recently and despite my preconceived notions, developed over months of forum readings, I decided to give it a try and found it delightful!
I selected a special pipe for this foray into the dark side (aromatics), an unsmoked Yello-bole strawberry shaped pipe in their popular brylon model.
The charring light was surprisingly smoke filled and there was a burst of aroma that promised a smooth, sweet, and cool experience.
I tamped lightly, maybe more than normal, but this tobacco is very forgiving as it took the second light and burned effortlessly right down to the bottom of the bowl leaving a fine white ash.
Each puff delivered a cherry flavored bon bon like, yet full tobacco taste, and the nicotine level was medium to strong, right where I like it.
I guess all the negative stuff has been a ploy to keep the price down and I give this blend a 4 out of 5 star rating.
If you have read this review to this point, I now refer you to the calendar, wish you a nice day, and offer the suggestion that this fantasy might actually happen to one of us.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I actually like it in a cob when doing yard work, though the cherry taste is not that extreme. Just a burley with a cherry background.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Middleton Cherry Blend the first pipe tobacco I tried back in 1965 and it burned my mouth so bad that I gave up the pipe for 2 yrs. Might have been my technique, being a newbie, so I came back to it 2 yrs later and got the same result. Fast forward 50 yrs. I tried it again last year after being in pipe smoking for 50 yrs and would you believe it still affects me the same way. Must be a chemical thing going on. I like the taste, but it doesn't like me.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
I'm like Ray. When I smoked this back in the 60's it burned me up too. That along with most drugstore OTC blends. So, you know I was a bit apprehensive when Joe at the Briary gave me a pouch. But at my age I'll try anything. To my suprise, no burn. Guess I've learned something over the past 50 years. A decent tasting burley. Albeit nothing to write home about.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
newbroom, others have made positive comments about aros, I'm smoking one right now of my own creation. Some others I have been positively struck with are Cult's Blood Red Moon and Lane Dark Red, both also cherries.

loomongous

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I love Cult BRM and also Casey Jones Last Ride. I usually enjoy the holiday offerings from Peterson as well. I will try the Middleton's Cherry just to see how it strikes me now. Last time I had any was about 35 years ago.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
If you have read this review to this point, I now refer you to the calendar, wish you a nice day, and offer the suggestion that this fantasy might actually happen to one of us
Good one Newbroom! I became suspicious at the fine white ash part. :clap:

I just don't know what is real anymore. 8O

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When I smoked this back in the 60's it burned me up too. That along with most drugstore OTC blends.
This has generally been my experience. It irritates the mouth and throat. However, if one is willing to smoke very slowly, and perhaps top the bowl off with some raw Burley to get it lit, it seems minimized.

I don't sing the praises of Middleton Cherry, but I do have a good Middleton Cherry story. My first pipe shop visit after smoking a few bags of RYO, was a small shop, only about twelve pipes, a few jars, and some pouches. The guy, who owned it, could have been an extra in an old Western Gold prospector movie. Anyways, when I asked him about what tobaccos he had, he listed off the 6 blends he had, and just gave me a, "you don't want the Middleton Cherry."

"Wait, why not."

"Ehhhhh, its for the more experienced pipe smoker."

"Experienced, huh? I think I'all take me a pouch of that." As I was thinking that he thought that I was just not going to be able to handle this "manly" tobacco. I'm no newbie (sorry).

"It bites," he said with a hangdog look.

"Yeh, yeh," I was thinking, 'I'm no wimp."

Later that evening, I was packing what Inwas thinking was going to be a cherry pie delight, but... it's like being scalded with hot molten plastic, cherry flavored plastic, melted PVC. Then doused with cherry flavored kerosene to relieve the pain. But... being new, I just kept telling myself that... I'm going to get this... I'm tough. I can do it.
Three days... I ended up getting bite and burn so bad, that it cooked my sinuses, and split my tongue. Three days of cherry kerosene and melted PVC. The neighbors could smell the pipesmoke, and they looked as if they were concerned that I might be making meth in my living room. I imagined guys in space suits, tents like the government used in that movie ET, equipment making pings, crackles, and hanging noises. Pipes of paperwork, EPA water boardings...
Nope, Middleton Cherry is for the pipesmoker who is way more serious than me.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It has never occurred to me to desire cherry flavoring to tobacco, but people seem to love the stuff. Maybe I will sniff out a variation if Russ makes one...

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Take some of that RY, buy some Lane Dark Red and just mix a little in there for some cherry in the background. If that doesn't work, try it with a good tobacco. :worship:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There are three grades of tobacco: good, better, and best. If Royal Yacht doesn't work, I'll step back a grade to better and if that fails, down one further to good.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Middleton's Cherry has never bit me. Sort of like Carter Hall with a very mike cherry background. Blood Red Moon tops all cherry tobaccos for me. Lane's Dark Red is too wet, and has an artificial taste to me.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Lane's Dark Red is too wet, and has an artificial taste to me.
Must be batch variation. I bought a pound in 2016 I think and it wasn't that way. Pretty much smokable right out of the jar and tasted very nice. Maybe let the stuff air out a little.
All BRM I've bought has been very consistent.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
has an artificial taste to me
Unless your tobacco has cherries in it, then it is probably artificial flavoring.
This is why I prefer natural flavors, like the crazy Marzipan tobacco I ended up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.