PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Depends on the style of music. Some of the singer/songwriter variety for example, I still think are ok to be continuing on into their elderly years. But something like the Stones, I agree...Jagger lost his ability to actually sing a long time ago imo. Whenever I've heard him in later years it sounds to me like he's just talking the lyrics.

And the type of stage antics he engages in are mostly just an embarrassing spectacle for anyone even over 40...but over 80? Ridiculous.
hey they're currently the third best rolling stones cover band these days.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Really? Rock and Roll? I saw him more as a storyteller. A great storyteller, right up there with Tom T. Certainly not exclusively country but, predominately a country song writer and singer.
My entire post was kind of a compare/contrast thing, comparing John Prine being able to write song relatable to the human condition at any age, and Mick Jagger trying to “rock” when he’s been getting the Senior Discount at McDonalds for 25 years.
Maybe I wasn’t clear.

Reactions: JOHN72 and warren

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
It’s nice that a geriatric vintage Stones thread got shifted to the guy to hoped to die before he got old.

Reactions: JOHN72

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I went to soooo many great concerts from 1981-1991 that im good for life.
I even caught the end of Lynyrd Skynyrd with at least a couple of the original members. :)
Motley Crue, KISS, Van Halen, Metallica, AC/DC, David Bowie, Guns & Roses, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Scorpions, Beastie Boys, Rolling Stones, Elvis Costello, The Pixies, The Supersuckers, Ween, Heart, ......
Yes, I have kind of an eclectic taste in music

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Now I got that song stuck in my head. I was never really a fan of the Rolling Stones, so whenever I hear/see Jagger mentioned, this is always the first thing to pop to my head:

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I went to soooo many great concerts from 1981-1991 that im good for life.
I even caught the end of Lynyrd Skynyrd with at least a couple of the original members. :)
Motley Crue, KISS, Van Halen, Metallica, AC/DC, David Bowie, Guns & Roses, Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, Scorpions, Beastie Boys, Rolling Stones, Elvis Costello, The Pixies, The Supersuckers, Ween, Heart, ......
Yes, I have kind of an eclectic taste in music
Same here. I'll add Pantera, Prong, Corrosion of Conformity, Megadeth, Anthrax, Boston, Molly Hatchet, Jane's Addiction, Godsmack, Clutch, Testament, Suicidal Tendancies, Slayer, Slipknot, Marylin Manson, Alman Brothers, Wishbone Ash, Queensreich, Pearl Jam. Theres more but this is a good start.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
If I remember correctly, the summer of 2007. I had two tickets for the concert. They were playing in my town. And I sold them to a couple of bikers from Madrid. I like some songs, but that day I decided not to see them live. Don't ask me why.

Reactions: kcghost