PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I know everyone is probably sick of hearing about how much I love my 1965 Dunhill Bruyere billiard that I bought from Mike and how well it smokes but while smoking it tonight I got to thinking that I owe Mike a testimonial, I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules.
This pipe I bought from Mike is the best pipe purchase I have ever made in over 20 years of pipe smoking. He described it on his website, Briar Blues, as being in fair condition yet when I received it it looked like a new pipe. I asked him about that and he said he takes into account the condition in which he receives the pipe when describing it, not how it turns out after restoration. How refreshing, what an honest businessman. I am one happy customer and am putting this thread up for the benefit of anyone who is unfamiliar with Briar Blues and may be contemplating a purchase from Mike. You will not be disappointed. I am keeping a close eye on his offerings for another purchase.
Thanks, Mike.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I also bought a pipe from Mike awhile back. My Peterson freehand. It was unsmoked and had no sock with it, but Mike sent it in an oversized sock anyway which is great as it is a huge pipe and I like socks for transporting. Mike held the pipe for me for a month and was just great to work with. I would definitely buy from him again.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
I also bought a pipe from Mike awhile back. My Peterson freehand. It was unsmoked and had no sock with it, but Mike sent it in an oversized sock anyway which is great as it is a huge pipe and I like socks for transporting. Mike held the pipe for me for a month and was just great to work with. I would definitely buy from him again.
He held the Dunhill for me as well until I could come up with the money. I wish more people would do business like he does. Can't say enough good about the guy.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've purchased several pipes from Mike over the years. When I buy from him I never give it a second thought. I know the pipe will arrive quickly, it will arrive super clean and the only surprise will be how it arrived in BETTER than described condition.
And, he's one heck of a nice fellow to boot!
Pipestud

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Mike is a true Gentleman, Big Heart, Knowledgeable, willing to help you out when funds are low, he has my Admiration and Respect. As they used to say in the 60s Love You Man.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
In a hobby that has a number of real gentlemen (and ladies), Mike G stands pretty tall in that group. We're fortunate to have him as a participating member on this forum.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I have purchased from Michael as well and can say without a doubt that every transaction was troublefree, worryfree and that he's an excellent person to deal with. We often read about less savory characters on this forum as a warning for our protection but its really nice to give credit where credit is due. Way to go, Briar Blues!

May 31, 2012
How Mike responded to this thread only further speaks of his character,

I hope the thread remains open.
Honestly, I don't believe we do anything up and above what many others do.
I disagree.
I think you actually do go above and beyond,

in more ways than one.
My experience with you has been something one doesn't come across too often in this ultra modern world...
My PAD budget fluctuates and I haven't been able to buy a lot of pipes from you, but you're ALWAYS on my radar when I have cash on hand and ready to purchase.
I'll never forget the time when I was broke and didn't have the money to get an older Stanwell 63M you had just listed, and at that time I was absolutely obsessed with that specific pipe model and seriously seeking them out, the one you had was a beautiful reddish color, I was smitten, and took a desperate approach of contacting you to see if there was any possibility of a pipe-for-pipe trade - I was a little surprised when you actually took it seriously and said to send some pictures of the pipe I had to trade --- and then you accepted the trade!!!
I cannot express how amazingly good that made me feel, to secure a sought-after pipe and it didn't get away out of my grasp, I was so happy!
Another amazing thing is that you shipped out the 63M so quickly it arrived within a couple of days into my mailbox, and I'm notoriously slow about going to the P.O. and hadn't even mailed my pipe to you! That experience was something special to me, because it reminded me a bit about how it might have been "back in the day" with a high level of trust between collectors and sellers and the whole close knit community thing and an era of a gentlemans agreement.

So thank you Mike.
I still have that Stanwell and it has been glorious, it is dedicated to St. Bruno and smokes like a real champ!

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.