PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Hi Guys. I want to buy this Greek pipe Alexander Hygrocool. I want this pipe for English blends. As you can see in the photo, this part that connects the shank to the stem (which fit in the middle), has some metal pieces. During smoking, the smoke will pass through these pieces. Those metal pieces, will negatively affect the taste of the smoke? Maybe, getting the taste of metal?

Maybe this is a dumb question. But I want your knowledge.

Attachments

• 611-01-bd.jpg
    611-01-bd.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: jpmcwjr

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Usually when people say they want your knowledge... or advice. What they really mean is they want you to validate what they already think. If you really want to know what I think, here goes.

The pipe looks like a nicely made piece of junk. No good pipe should need all that plumbing. If you want something to smoke English blends, I suggest either a meerschaum or a high quality Italian pipe such as a Castello, Ser Jacopo, Mastro de Paja, etc. Good luck puffy

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
Usually when people say they want your knowledge... or advice. What they really mean is they want you to validate what they already think. If you really want to know what I think, here goes.

The pipe looks like a nicely made piece of junk. No good pipe should need all that plumbing. If you want something to smoke English blends, I suggest either a meerschaum or a high quality Italian pipe such as a Castello, Ser Jacopo, Mastro de Paja, etc. Good luck puffy
Why do you think it's a piece of junk?

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Interesting design, I don’t think that the metal will interfere with the taste but I may be wrong. It wouldn’t stop me from getting the pipe if I liked it enough. I like it.

Reactions: john19
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I've considered buying pipes and briar blocks from Alexander, but, the shipping from Greece usually ends up deterring me. Since you're in Greece, that won't be an issue. If the pipe appeals to you, you should get it. I doubt the metal will impart anything noticeable to your tobacco. I have a good number of vintage pipes with metal innards and they smoke fine.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I think you'll find that most (not all) here prefer the absence of filter, and in this case, extra engineering and parts that get in the way when needing to clean and do maintenance.

The presence of a filter will interfere with your flavor more than the metal. The extra "engineering" will possibly get in the way of air-flow, and that could diminish the pleasure of your experience.

It's not a dumb question, it's a question that arises in the beginning of the journey.

If none of the old farts that smoke a pipe want this type of contraption, it might be a gimmick.

Some questions must be answered on our own though...

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Unless of course, you're sold on the "system".

Hygrocool system, eliminates tongue bite and several liquids oils and tars cannot reach mouth when smoking. The results are a cool and dry smoke.
Perfect system for beginner smokers.
Perfect for aromatic and English blends.