PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I purchased an SMS meer today. Beautiful pipe...I'll be posting photos later tonight. Anyways, I had to order beeswax online (apprently portland doesn't like beeswax)...is it fine to smoke the pipe without the beeswax? I really want to smoke the little guy, but I definitely don't want to hurt the bugger.

Thanks everyone.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
As an owner of one of the same,....I'm pretty sure your pipe has been soaked in beeswax during construction.

I just fished a stick of beeswax out d'bay that I'll be using in the next few days to "re-wax" my little meerschaum of mine for the first time in a year.

There are a few websites that feature pages with suggestions for routine maintenance of a meerschaum pipe.

One, if I remember correctly, says to rub some pure beeswax on the pipe like lipstick and then hit with a hairdryer to melt it in, while using a Q-tip to work the melted wax into an even film. I think it was the same site that also warned against holding the bowl with grubby paws for fear of transferring hand gunk into the pores of the bowl.

p.s. I'm pretty sure the lipstick/hair-dryer method was posted by one of the owners of SMS.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Collin, whip into a fabric store and ask for beeswax. They almost always have it on hand for quilters . If that fails PM me an address I get mine free and will gladly share.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Drat, too late for that. I purchased a pound of beeswax from some e-tailer with a fondness for bee-related puns.

And I suppose, based upon your testimony, Collin, that I shall have no problems if I were to smoke this guy prior to getting my wax...excellent.

Photos:

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Just finished a bowl of After Dinner, from Rich's Cigar (a B&M near me) and my God, the clarity of flavor from my meer is just delightful! Not necessarily better than my briar pipes, but so clear! Simply amazing.

Now I just have to figure out how to clean if efficiently, since I don't want to touch the bowl of course.

frnky4fngrs

Lurker
Nov 7, 2010
That's a nice pipe Collin. I love the designs that you can get with meers, but there is just something about a nice briar that always seems to bring me back

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
SMS Meerschaums are good Pipes. Sam and Beth Simet have been around

for at least 35 years in the Meerschaum industry and their Pipes are

widely smoked. This Pipe has already been waxed by the Carver, so it's

ready to smoke. I do suggest that you give it a cleaning with Everclear,

shank brush and Pipe cleaners in order to get the milling dust out of the

bit and Block. It will take a few smokes before the excess Beeswax and

solvents burn off, then the Pipe will perform well in the smoking experience.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Beautiful pipe Collin, I have had A new meer since the 18th of last month, haven't had time to clean it up, I guess today is the day and maybe smoke it tonight

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Nice!
I love the simple designs in meers. Now, to color it... Are you up to the task? Better start training so that you don't pull up with an injury. :)
Simon

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Beautiful pipe. I have wanted a meer for a long time. This just sets fire to the urge to indulge my pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.