PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I mentioned this in my into but thought I’d share my journey into pipes.

I’ve been a cigar smoker for 30 years and I recently helped a good friend recondition his Dad's old desktop humidor. While we were sitting around I mentioned that I wanted to try smoking a pipe.

He said that he inherited his Dad's collection of 9 Meerschaum pipes. Not sure of the age on any of them, but they haven't been touched in over 15 years. Pics below.

FullSizeRender(1)-compressed.jpegFullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg

There was one pipe that had a small brass nameplate that said “CAO” but we didn’t see identifying marks on any of the others. They were in decent shape and didn’t take too much elbow grease to get them in working condition. Lots of YouTube videos were integral in getting it done. We got through five of the pipes that day and they were beautiful.

IMG_2038.jpeg

As a thank you, my buddy gifted me a pipe of my choice. The Eagle Claw was cool but I chose the hexagonal one. Before and after.

IMG_2032.jpegIMG_2037.jpeg

I’m still trying to figure out what I like for tobacco, what to drink with it, and my packing technique needs a ton of work, but it’s been a great journey so far. I recently picked up a second Meer and I love it. Seen here with the gifted one.

IMG_2509.jpeg

Thanks for indulging me and I will see you ‘round!

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I mentioned this in my into but thought I’d share my journey into pipes.

I’ve been a cigar smoker for 30 years and I recently helped a good friend recondition his Dad's old desktop humidor. While we were sitting around I mentioned that I wanted to try smoking a pipe.

He said that he inherited his Dad's collection of 9 Meerschaum pipes. Not sure of the age on any of them, but they haven't been touched in over 15 years. Pics below.

View attachment 296851View attachment 296852

There was one pipe that had a small brass nameplate that said “CAO” but we didn’t see identifying marks on any of the others. They were in decent shape and didn’t take too much elbow grease to get them in working condition. Lots of YouTube videos were integral in getting it done. We got through five of the pipes that day and they were beautiful.

View attachment 296853

As a thank you, my buddy gifted me a pipe of my choice. The Eagle Claw was cool but I chose the hexagonal one. Before and after.

View attachment 296854View attachment 296855

I’m still trying to figure out what I like for tobacco, what to drink with it, and my packing technique needs a ton of work, but it’s been a great journey so far. I recently picked up a second Meer and I love it. Seen here with the gifted one.

View attachment 296856

Thanks for indulging me and I will see you ‘round!
You've done a great job there. How did you clean the rim up like that? It was a real mess,now looks gleaming.

• Love
Reactions: AreBee
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
You've done a great job there. How did you clean the rim up like that? It was a real mess,now looks gleaming.

I have found over the years that a paper towel with your own spit (saliva), and some elbow grease works wonders for getting rid of rim charring. It cleans the rims really well, whether it's briar or meerschaum.