Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I have not tasted anything bad while smoking my meerschaums when new, I have noticed a burnt rubber smell, which goes away after 4/5 smokes.
I think it is the surface wax, mine were all white, so it was only a smell. Since yours is pre-colored, it might have more wax, which you are tasting. The gin which you used to clean may also have something to do with it.
It will go away after a few bowls (4-5)

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
That’s a beautiful meerschaum! I’ve no clue as to the plastic taste, but this thread has given me another push to acquire my first meer.

I’m kind of scared by them because I don’t really know the proper care and feeding of one (lol). I’ll tackle that, but again that’s a really nice looking pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Let's see:
  1. A bear asking us to bear with him. rotf
  2. New meers will taste like chalk and mute tobacco flavors until they are saturated with tobacco oils.
  3. Meer is like fired clay, don't think you damaged it with relights.
  4. Never use alcohol on a meer.
  5. You may have overheated the screw in plastic mortise insert causing the plastic taste.

Reactions: BROBS and brian64

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Let's see:
  1. A bear asking us to bear with him. rotf
  2. New meers will taste like chalk and mute tobacco flavors until they are saturated with tobacco oils.
  3. Meer is like fired clay, don't think you damaged it with relights.
  4. Never use alcohol on a meer.
  5. You may have overheated the screw in plastic mortise insert causing the plastic taste.
1. Yup, lest I introduce you to my new friend here, the T-Rex. ?​
2. 10-4. Yeah, chalky or burnt rubber as @cshubhra mentioned is closer to it than burnt plastic.​
3. Roger that too. ?​
4. I was afraid you were gonna say that but I HAD to disinfect it, at least the first time. I watched a video of Meerschaum making and saw the artisan blow on them. ? Weird, the 'manual' that I got with them says to use shave lotion (!! ?), or that "a similar product containing a slight trace of alcohol will also work". Not trying to argue, but I'm puzzled. Of course, I didn't use a 'slight trace' of alcohol... :oops:
5. I'm shewing you the mortise and tenon below. The funny, burnt smell is strongest in the chamber, not the tenon.​

I unscrewed and screwed back as carefully as if I were operating on a patient. The scratch you see, it if wasn't there originally (can't tell, didn't pay attention till later), I might have caused it by overtightening a turn, since this screw mechanism doesn't stop.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
That’s a beautiful meerschaum! I’ve no clue as to the plastic taste, but this thread has given me another push to acquire my first meer.

I’m kind of scared by them because I don’t really know the proper care and feeding of one (lol). I’ll tackle that, but again that’s a really nice looking pipe.
Don't be shy. I'm learning as I go, but I don't think they are as finicky to care for and feed as they might initially appear. I believe that once you learn the ropes you're set, just like a briar pipe or any other new tool.

One think that struck me with awe was how light they are. This is a large pipe and I was expecting it to be heavy, but no, light as a feather. When the postman handed me the parcel I thought they had shipped pipe cleaners by mistake.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
the screw mechanism doesn't stop because your are turning the push tenon inside. Turn it clockwise to remove and clockwise to install. Don't continue to unscrew the tenon piece because you will wear the threads.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I've never disinfected a new bowl/shank.
the stem maybe.

I wouldn't use alcohol in it.. you are probably tasting the juniper in the gin.
They will have an odd sea-like note until broken in.. especially on the outside.
Next time you smoke it and it's hot try sniffing the outside of the shank, you'll see what I mean.

Reactions: olkofri
Status
Not open for further replies.