PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Disclaimer: never smoked a Meerschaum before, so please bear with me.

Well, I gave my first Meerschaum its inaugural smoke to-day and towards the end of the smoke (not the end of the bowl, though, there was a pinch left of unburnt tobacco, which I wouldn't really call dottle) I started to get this funny taste like burnt plastic—well, not quite plastic, but like something burnt, real funny taste. Is this normal? I was under the impression that these pipes are tasteless thus giving one "the true taste of a blend".

Mind, I had to be relighting like crazy, and I didn't pack it all the way to the top to begin with: this is a capacious, cavernous, vast, huge, enormous chamber I wouldn't be able to smoke through in one sitting (especially sitting in my car outside with my feet getting freezing cold). Due to the chamber size I had to be sticking the flame into it and at the end of the smoke the lighter wasn't cutting it and I stuck 2-3 matches in right above the tobacco—the chamber woulda been ~1/4 full by then.

Did I cause burn damage? Hence the funny taste? Will this go away?

This is the chamber after the smoke:

I chose to shew you the left side because that's the side that gets toasted more by the flame of whatever I'm using—Kiribi, Bic, matches...

TIA for any helpful input.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
LOL! In at the same time!

I thought the same. Should have posted it, as you did and we could have continued this play for a while!

By the way - I can barely imagine, that you did any damage to this pipe. I guess, the funny taste has to do with some residue from the precoloring, which had accidently made its way into the bowl.

Reactions: lightmybriar

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Mind, I had to be relighting like crazy

Let's see...something similar to burnt plastic...wouldn't that just be from attempting to keep a goopy wet aro lit? nana

Seriously though...I've never noticed such a taste from a new meer but I've never had a precolored one. No idea if that could have anything to do with it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I should also probably say that I disinfected it two days ago and I used a quite liberal amount of gin. Yes, they are very absorbent I quickly realised, and, unlike with briar pipes, the gin would just disappear off my fingertip before it reached the bottom of the bowl, so I had to keep remoistening it. So maybe I'm tasting cooked gin.

Didn't think about this, but since Burley Boy mentioned it could be the compound from the pre-colouring...

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My word, at least you're not suggesting Pirate Kake. ?

Another thing that I cooked a bit was my tongue with all those darn relights, but that's not what I'm tasting. ? Weren't these pipes s'posed to give you the coolest smoke ever??

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I have read about a case of the plastic mortise insert or a tenon on a meer getting melted. Different maker, also years ago now, I think. The maker had since changed to a different, more heat resistant part and sent a new one.

I think you’d need a short shank or to be really hauling on it to get actual fire so far up there that the mortise insert melts. But I’m no expert.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Im of the, "something in the tobacco itself that got concentrated by the burning process". I have had that happen.
There is the possibility that there was some finishing wax in th bowl.
Try again, about an eighth of a bowl and then wipe it out gently while its still a little warm with something clean and absorbent.

Last edited:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I have read about a case of the plastic mortise insert or a tenon on a meer getting melted. Different maker, also years ago now, I think. The maker had since changed to a different, more heat resistant part and sent a new one.

I think you’d need a short shank or to be really hauling on it to get actual fire so far up there that the mortise insert melts. But I’m no expert.
Hmm. The tenon looks fine, the plastic, screw-shaped section I mean. There appears to be an insert of sepiolite in the lumen of the tenon, though, which looks a wee bit yellow now, probably colouring from smoking, methinks (or so I wanna think). I shoulda taken a photo of that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.