PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I've been shopping around, trying to find my first meerschaum, and had a quick question:
Are you supposed to let cake build up in the bowl like a briar pipe?
I ask this because I know the tobacco over time will stain the meerschaum. I was just wondering if a thick cake will clog up the pores in the bowl causing the coloring process to slow down.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
No, you don't really want cake build up in a meer. Simply wipe them out with a paper towl from time to time, or after each smoke. You want them clean so that the tobacco juices and moisture is absorbed into the mineral.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I've been looking at carved meers. Part of me wants an old beauty, but I'd be afraid to smoke it.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I 2nd the question on 151, would come in handy for more then just cleaning!
I may be picking up some beat up meers to fool around with. Does anyone have any tips on cleaning the outside of the pipes?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
They say you really shouldn't use alcohol on the meerschaum. I use it to clean the stem but not the bowl. Just a damp with water paper towel. Cake build up can cause the meer to crack. I've seen it.

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Thanks for the link baskerville,
One of the meers I'm getting looks like it was buried in dirt for years! Can I use rubbing alcohol to clean both the inside and outside of the pipe? Also, the end of the shank is tarnished metal (silver?) and was wondering if I should use something other then the Alcohol to clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.