PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrawn

Lurker
Feb 16, 2018
Hello everyone! I saw a few other posts regarding stems but I wanted to start my own just in case things were unique. I have two meerschaum pipes that belonged to my dad. I don't know their origin or how old they are. It looks like both need full replacements. I haven't been able to find anything that didn't look like it would be found on a "different kind of pipe".
I have provided pictures. Any help would be appreciated!

upload image

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Briarville, yes! The first pipe is old, say, WWI or before, and would have had an amber or amberoid stem. The second is a 1970s Turkish meerschaum, and its yellow plastic stem is likely original (those very narrow faces were popular for a while, presumably because the carver could get more of them out of a block).

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I love the patina that old meerschaum's acuire.
I you decide to smoke sultan shape pipe it will continue color and darken over time.
please post photos when you get these hierlooms all fixed up and re-stemed.
two very nice pipe's you have, thrawn. :)

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
thrawn - I wish you all the best in finding out more about your dad's meerschaum pipes, and this is the place you will find such information. But I am interested in your chosen forum name - "thrawn" - I know what the word means, and I presume you are therefore a Scot, or from a family with a strong Scottish tradition?

Status
Not open for further replies.