PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Another auction pickup last week- came in without any identifying marks or stem...The big challenge is that the sterling cap has a lip- partially broken. There is about .7” deep hollow from that rim to where the meerschaum shank begins. The only thing I can figure is that there was a female bone thread inside that space that someone pried out when it stripped...so some questions- Any idea what the stem could have looked like on this one? Is there a good technique for removing a silver ferrule without crunching the meerschaum? Since that lip is trashed anyway, i’m considering cutting off the lip which would leave me with a band and allow me to glue in a Delrin insert for a 1/4” push tenon...and unless there’s a better idea might use an old church warden stem I have...

ixyudj.jpg

2rpupu9.jpg

f3sxa8.jpg

4uzcjb.jpg

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I think he was agreeing with my suggestion, but I’ll let him confirm that.
Here’s my M.T. Natural, made in Holland:

4b9d8142-0adb-4a0d-b9bc-a03621f7b3da-600x418.jpg

This is what I had in mind.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Very elegant shape with nice coloring.

Closer to an artisan tomato shape and better colored than this one:
bcf7f79e9f96f33c2c3b4403c3ef5893.jpg

Can't wait to see it gets a new stem in this swan neck style.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I’m sold...I like the way that shape works...now all I have to do is figure out how to cut the flange off and make it look good...:)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes! Look forward to the new stem married to a lovely stummel- and yes, my agreement was re the swan style. Maybe a touch shorter than those shown due to shorter stummel? Or would the opposite apply?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
The length I'm not sure of...I'll have to do some drawings...shank is shorter than the 120s, so maybe a little longer...

Status
Not open for further replies.