PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Does this label look familiar to anyone? We think the symbols on the sides of the label are stars. Just curious to know who might have produced it.

9SGzNnTh.jpg

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I've seen these labels in both red/gold and purple/gold. I think the starts are just decoration. Though I don't know by any means, judging by the shape and carving style and by the label style, I think these are Austrian and from the 1940s. I think the stem is amberoid/cultured amber (amber powder reconstituted with resin) as commonly used by Austrian maker Andreas Bauer which, along with importer Pioneer which sold Austrian meerschaums, also sometimes used these metallic labels and this sort of carving. It's almost certainly block meerschaum, and in this case I'm certain the stem is indeed amber. It's an elegant pipe and probably will smoke and color well.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
The only thing I know is it's a fine looking pipe. I'm pretty jealous, and I usually lean towards Briar.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Thanks jonasclark - I appreciate the info. So far I'm very impressed with its performance despite it being a bit oddly drilled.

Thank you too Tyler - it's my first actually, mainly snagged for price and unsmoked condition, and I'm glad I went for it. Chain smoking bowls without resting the pipe isn't a bad thing IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.