PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
I think that there is a burn/return analysis which ought to be contemplated. The crack in your pipe is most unfortunate. Maybe a good restorer can fix it. However, at what cost? Moreover, any pipe of mine which has been repaired always reminds me that it has, in fact, been damaged and repaired. I cannot unsee it. The good news is that, unlike many briar pipes, Meerschaum is relatively inexpensive both new and estate. I realize that everyone's financial situation is different and this question can be answered by you alone. However, for around $155.00 you can buy a brand new smooth block Meer from Meerschaum Market with free shipping. It may be worth considering. Take care.

Reactions: Toast and jpmcwjr

Edwoooo

Lurker
Jun 17, 2022
Valley Springs, California
sorry for this opinion if you find it absurd. But this is a silicate type mineral if I'm not mistaken. either calcium, magnesium or a combination of sort. the structure may function as a tooth dentin. well, this is how we treat cavities, and some cracks in dentin...
If you don't mind the scarring that it will leave on it, have a dentist use the closest shade composite possible to bond it with, if returns are not possible, and if you are stuck with it. He will use a small diameter medium grit diamond bur to create a trough 1mm isthmus (width) and 1mm deep along the crack (trench). Then he will proceed with micro sandblasting the surface gently, and minimally to expose more rough silica to allow good bonding against. He will then use 35% Phosphoric acid to etch and to lift all debris the diamond left behind exposing the microscopic silicate surface, rinse well. after this, he will apply dental bonding agent for 20 seconds and cure this with the special light. now comes the filling stage. a closely matched Dentin shade (opaque) composite filling packed inside this groove, shaped, will be cured. Then polish to a shine.
It will hold. It will not be perfect match since composites are build to match teeth (made to have translucency), but it will work for function. And if dentist fellow is creative with the drill (handpiece), he may turn this occasion into a design, or pattern.
I would do it for you if you were local, and time was not an issue. But contact a local dentist and talk to him in person. He may be pleased that you went to inquire of his special skills for this project.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And I wouldn't do a thing for that fissure. Not until it became a real problem, which it may in time..... or mayn't. I have a similar fissure in a Meer for over a year now.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I bet this was the crack that broke the will of the poster and he tossed all pipes and pipe related items in that garbage can. He has also never looked back. He is on a beach somewhere enjoying a Phillip Morris vape pen and the pipe smoking mistake is a thing of the past.

Reactions: jpmcwjr