PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Does anyone here use Meerschaum Granulate in their pipe bowls?

Achim at Pfeifenstudio sent me some, or was it Smokingpipes US (dangit, my memory fails!). I've not used them.

I don't use filters with any of my pipes, although decades ago I did use the little straws that came with my new Castello (around 1980?). Perhaps these granules are yet another way to avoid too much moisture with the smoke?

kindly
mike

Reactions: yanoJL and UB 40

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Does anyone here use Meerschaum Granulate in their pipe bowls?

Achim at Pfeifenstudio sent me some, or was it Smokingpipes US (dangit, my memory fails!). I've not used them.

I don't use filters with any of my pipes, although decades ago I did use the little straws that came with my new Castello (around 1980?). Perhaps these granules are yet another way to avoid too much moisture with the smoke?

kindly
mike
I use meerschaum bits/granules or Nording Keystones almost always now.
I sometimes don’t get enough time to dry the tobacco out properly before loading.
I get a drier smoke, less gurgles and generally very little or no dottle - just ash
As tobacco is very expensive Downunder, the meer chips or Keystones help save money and precious tobacco.
Plus give a more enjoyable smoke.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
When I first began the pipe hobby, I bought a Kindle e-book for $.099 called "101 tips for pipe smokers". One of the tips was to put a few kernels of uncooked brown rice in the bowl before loading with tobacco. So I do that sometimes with one particular pipe I have that seems to have a penchant for gurgling. It makes a difference. And when I dump ash at the end, those kernels have noticeably swelled from moisture.

Screenshot_20230201-222315_Kindle.jpg

Reactions: Scottmi

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Dear Oz and yano (@OzPiper and @yanoJL),
Thanks both for posting. Yano...you likely just dump the rice kernels in the trash, right? Oz...what do you do, do you dump the meer grains also? Do you put 1/2 a bowl, 1/4, a few kernels before loading?
thnx
mike

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Mike,
Drpen
Dear Oz and yano (@OzPiper and @yanoJL),
Thanks both for posting. Yano...you likely just dump the rice kernels in the trash, right? Oz...what do you do, do you dump the meer grains also? Do you put 1/2 a bowl, 1/4, a few kernels before loading?
thnx
Mike,

I use 4-6 pieces depending on the size of the chips and the depth of the bowl

The chips are good for up to 4 or five bowls - depends on how wet the tobacco is and how wet you smoke

Then I dump the chips along with the ash and matchsticks in the garden 😁

Reactions: macaroni

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Why brown? Healthier than white rice I suppose 🤔
Good question. It seems other rice varieties might actually be more effective.
I just found a web site where someone did some garage science and it appears that brown rice is NOT as absorbent as others. Here are the results:
from MOST absorbent to LEAST absorbent:

Basmati rice (MOST)
Long grain rice
Pudding rice
Paella rice
Brown rice (LEAST)