PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Administrator
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have been advocating the use of meerschaum chips and Nording Keystones for a while.
IMG_8033.jpeg
IMG_8034.jpeg

They are an unneccessary expense and step for those who have mastered the art of packing tamping and maintaining a slow smoking cadence.

But they are a boon for those who find they have to continually relight and/or are left with an unpleasant mass/mess of soggy dottle at the bottom of their bowls.

I returned to pipe smoking only a few years ago, so I do not consider myself an old hand.

This is the remnants of this afternoon’s 2 bowls.
3 matches used, no relights and minimal leftover tobacco.
IMG_8032.jpeg

I used 6 pieces of meer chips (bottom right on the ashtray).
As the chips and Keystones can be reused, the savings on not having dottle is significant in Oz, where a 2oz/50gm tin of tobacco costs @AUD$150

Keystones are available in bulk packs

Roach1

Administrator
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
I use the chips about 70% of the time.
I am what you would call a wet smoker and they help. Reusable is new to me. I have not tried the Nording stones.

Reactions: BCF

OzPiper

Administrator
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I use the chips about 70% of the time.
I am what you would call a wet smoker and they help. Reusable is new to me. I have not tried the Nording stones.
I usually reuse them for 2-3 bowls.

The tobacco this afternoon was straight out of the tins with no dry time.
The tins had been open awhile, so the tobacco was sufficiently dry.

Reactions: BCF

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think if tobacco cost more I might use something like that. I think it would actually be more expensive to use those for me then to just dump the tiny bit left at the bottom of the bowl. But I have noticed when the humidity ambiently speaking is super high everything gets soggy including the tobacco, then I've wondered if such things would help.

OzPiper

Administrator
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I think if tobacco cost more I might use something like that. I think it would actually be more expensive to use those for me than to just dump the tiny bit left at the bottom of the bowl. But I have noticed when the humidity ambiently speaking is super high everything gets soggy including the tobacco, then I've wondered if such things would help.
If tobacco was as cheap in Oz as in the States, I’d reconsider using them.

But overall I get a much better smoke with their use - far less moisture/gurgles and use of cleaners mid-smoke. And relights.

Sydney, Oz is in a temperate zone.
We have had a lot of rain in the past few years, and high humidity has been a constant problem.

We have had to use moisture absorbers in our cupboards and wardrobes to avoid mildew.

OzPiper

Administrator
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I didn't realize that! What caused you to stop, what brought you back, and how long were you away from it?
Started when I was an undergraduate and stopped when the children came along - I promised my wife I wouldn’t smoke around children

Took up cigars when the boys were grown.

I was browsing cigars at an airport in 2018 that had a great selection of Peterson tins.
Bought one, dug out my old pipes, and here I am a few years down the track.

Enjoying my pipes so much that cigars hardly get a look in these days
puffy

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
Started when I was an undergraduate and stopped when the children came along - I promised my wife I wouldn’t smoke around children

Took up cigars when the boys were grown.

I was browsing cigars at an airport in 2018 that had a great selection of Peterson tins.
Bought one, dug out my old pipes, and here I am a few years down the track.

Enjoying my pipes so much that cigars hardly get a look in these days
puffy
That's an amazing pipe collection you've amassed in these past (relatively) few years. My wife asked me to stop smoking when we had our second but thankfully she's now just asked that I don't smoke around them or their things (like in the garage). I sometimes grumble about it but am glad to still be smoking 😁

If tobacco was as cheap in Oz as in the States, I’d reconsider using them.
Gosh you're right! We are very spoiled here in the US.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
They are also good if you want to put less tobacco in a larger pipe. I make my own from hammered up red clay garden pots that got broke. I buy them too and I also reuse them. I have to say I cant tell a big difference between new ones and those black from use. So I reuse them until they get lost in the ash and tossed. I have one really wide pot pipe where I dont use them because there is already too much air mixed in and flavor disappears.

They also keep your pipe cleaner.

Reactions: OzPiper

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I removed one step and only smoked out of meerschaum pipes now and never looked back. If you order a meer you can ask for some chips, a lot of stories about people getting 2 or 3 pound bags of meer chips for free, it's just the throw away. I bet @Said.ALTINAY would sell you a big bag cheap :D

didimauw

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
My Astas Meer claw came with a free meerschaum filter that goes in the bottom of the bowl. Thought I'd never even try it, but I'm about ready to stock up on em. Love em.