PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I had one of those for years. Didn't smoke it all that often as it was a bit awkward. It got knocked off its stand on top of a bookcase and hit the tile floor. That was that.

Reactions: Tate
Jun 23, 2019
Reminds me I should probably smoke this pipe more often... What I need is a proper calabash pipe stand so I can actually set it down when I'm smoking it:

WvWEujih.jpg

I'll try to take better pictures when I get a chance, she's a real shapely one this.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
H

HRPufnstuf

Gotta say the one Chasing Embers linked looks quite good for the price. Particularly considering the disassembled photos.

Reactions: Tate

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
Peterson’s Irish Flake is a bit strong for a whimp like me 😏
The air space in the gourd “dilutes” the smoke so I don’t get “hit”
Also the meer bowl is quite shallow/small so it’s a shorter smoke
I see! I can see how that could be useful! I just wasn't sure if you meant improve as increase or decrease. 🤣 more laughing at my own vocabulary here.

Reactions: OzPiper

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Sherlock Holmes related to stage, film and television, yes. A clay pipe (Old Domions can be had for under $50) is more literary Holmes, but unlike him, you probably shouldn't smoke it until it turns black-- and sour-- and then just keep smoking it like that. If you do get a clay pipe, once it starts to turn brown, bury it in the coals of a fireplace and the tobacco juices will bake out of it. Once it's clean, dip the stem tip in some sort of melted wax or your lips will stick to it.

A long-stemmed cherrywood (look on eBay for Ropp pipes, you'll want the kind with a long slightly-angled stem, as opposed to the sitter with a vertical shank and bent mouthpiece) is proper for Holmes in a bad mood. These always have some of the bark left on because they tend to crack easily. Don't go Holmes' way and light it with a coal plucked from a fireplace with tongs.

Keep an eye on eBay and Etsy, though. You never know what you'll dig up. The Pioneer calabashes are the easiest to find; they always have a black ferrule and black military-mount stem, and never any shank band of metal or etc. I have a couple of these that need a new meerschaum bowl, and I just don't smoke them enough to want to spend $100 on one. PM me and we can talk about me selling one of them if you want. These are from the 1960s or 1970s.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Sherlock Holmes related to stage, film and television, yes. A clay pipe (Old Domions can be had for under $50) is more literary Holmes, but unlike him, you probably shouldn't smoke it until it turns black-- and sour-- and then just keep smoking it like that. If you do get a clay pipe, once it starts to turn brown, bury it in the coals of a fireplace and the tobacco juices will bake out of it. Once it's clean, dip the stem tip in some sort of melted wax or your lips will stick to it.

A long-stemmed cherrywood (look on eBay for Ropp pipes, you'll want the kind with a long slightly-angled stem, as opposed to the sitter with a vertical shank and bent mouthpiece) is proper for Holmes in a bad mood. These always have some of the bark left on because they tend to crack easily. Don't go Holmes' way and light it with a coal plucked from a fireplace with tongs.

Keep an eye on eBay and Etsy, though. You never know what you'll dig up. The Pioneer calabashes are the easiest to find; they always have a black ferrule and black military-mount stem, and never any shank band of metal or etc. I have a couple of these that need a new meerschaum bowl, and I just don't smoke them enough to want to spend $100 on one. PM me and we can talk about me selling one of them if you want. These are from the 1960s or 1970s.
@jonasclark Nothing wrong with lighting the pipe with an ember & tongs; I've had my clay lit from the blacksmith's forge at re-enactments several times! Here's my favourite lighter!

Attachments

• Cromford pipelighter.JPG
    Cromford pipelighter.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Kobold and Tate

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana

The clay pipe idea seems pretty good to me. Just read through a few stories and seen that it is in fact a clay pipe.