PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
I had given up on Meerschaums, and traded or gave away the 3 that I had. However with my "Born Again Revelation" of English / Balkan blends, I decided to get another one and give it a another try.
I have read so much conflicting advice on colouring meershaums.
I decided to start off with the gloves.
However my wife came home unexpectedly and did what I knew she would do. CRACK UP LAUGHING
And commented that I was trying to impersonate Michael Jackson (Who I despise)
So I am out of the closet now.
But tell me, what are your takes on using gloves during this process, the %^&@ing Gloves are really a bother. Kind of like a condom for pipe smoking.
Should I persevere with the gloves, and get a lovely coloured meerschaum or go brave and land up with a pipe that looks like it has herpes????

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I am of the mindset that pipe smoking is supposed to be a relaxing time for me. I do not do anything that would hamper my relaxation. Wearing gloves would do that for me. Because in my mind it would make it seem like something that I have to do, and it would seem too much like work. I like to grab my pipe, load it up with baccy, and smoke it.
I have never worn gloves when smoking my Meerschaum pipes. I do however hold the pipe by the stem instead of the bowl to help in even color distribution.
I am not saying that wearing gloves in wrong or a hassle for all people, just for me. If you like to wear gloves, then by all means do so.
It is all about personal preferences and you should enjoy your pipes the way that you, as an individual, want to.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Mate, if I see you coming towards me wearing surgical gloves, I am running my ass off in the other direction.
Coincidentally, on Friday, I was out and about, and by pure impulse bought my first Meerschaum pipe.
Laura likes to get a lot of specialty foods and organic foods that can only be found at a certain store here. Lucky for me, it is 1 block from House of Pipes. While I was on my way to Rollin' Oats, which I affectionately call "The Hippie Store", I decided to just stop in to say hello and visit all the pipes and tobaccos.
I told myself that I have enough pipes and tobacco and I don't need any more. Uh ... yeah ... that worked. NOT!
I bought a tin of Peterson Sherlock Holmes because Shaunydub posted about it in his blog here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/shaunydub/pipe-news/todays-smoking/
I also bought Djarum Clove cigarettes and Chocolate Cigarettes. Not because I am going to smoke them, but because they will be illegal in 2 days. More on that coming in a feature article shortly.
I already paid, and was walking towards the door, when suddenly I turned around and said; "Do you have any Meerschaum pipes?" We must have been in tune that day Mate.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The notes I made for myself about the Meerschaum:
1. Don't touch the bowl while smoking for even colorization. I haven;t smoked it yet, but I will today. I was thinking the same thing Bob said, to just hold by the stem.
2. Blow smoke on the pipe to help color it.
3. Put the pipe in a jar, or plastic bag, blow smoke on the pipe and seal it shut.
Some of that is from Richard Hacker and some is from Rick Newcombe.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Kevin,
They are not surgical gloves (I thought of those as I keep in stock for various canine surgical procedures I am required to do on Carolyn's two daughters). Surgical gloves have something on them I think would actually mess up a meerschaum.
No its cotton type gloves that photographers use to hold prints and negatives.
You don't have to worry if you see me with surgical gloves, as there are lots of other people I would prefer to give a prostate exam to before you. Most of them are Anti Smoking Nazis, and they are so full of **** that I would be using a shovel, or one of those entrenching tools the US Military supply their servicemen with. And I would not just have on gloves, but a full Bio Hazard Outfit
As far as Health Food Stores and Organic Stuff for the health conscious
Coffee and Tobacco are organic and English Tobacco has no additives

Cows eat grass, I eat Steak and Roast Beef, so I am really a veteran

I am constantly using iPod remote and my fingers do the walking on my MacBook so that exercise
I SHOULD WRITE A HEALTH BOOK

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Once I learn how to post pictures, I'll show off my wife's 110 year old meer. It was never handled and smoked in its hardshell case. A previous owner cut the tip off and cut a hole above the tobacco chamber. The pipe is BLACK.

I have only two meers. one is a small "ladies" straight billiard that is used for my heavy hitting tobaccos and the other is a nice unsigned lattice straight billiard. I don't do anything special except wipe the bowl out with the small one but the lattice meer is smoked with white cotten gloves. Smoking in public buildings is still allowed here in No. Carolina and I have answered the query about the glove several times when I've pulled that pipe out.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
To post pictures you will need to set up an account at a plce like Photobucket. Upload the pics there and use the link that they give you for online forums and message boards.
Copy the link and paste it into your post and it will show the picture.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
chuckw & Python
Good, I thought I was the only one technically challenged regarding posting pics
My workaround, was post pics in iWeb using my .Mac Account
As for the pics, you can send them directly to me at mate@tstt.net.tt I have nutting to hide, as I am not a politician.
Also the pics will keep me amused while Kevin and Bob are sooooooo busy working thier pipe stems off at various Pipe and Tobacco shows. (More on this later)
John

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
chuckw & mate: Mr. python too ;)
You can post pictures here. You do not need to go to Photobucket, Flickr and such.
This info should be in the welcome email you got chuckw? It was added after you signed up mate.
Look at the very top of your browser when you are logged into the site.
There is a gray horizontal navigation bar that only appears to logged in users.
--> My Account --> Album --> Upload Pictures
Click on the picture for the large version, like here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/admin/album/picture/34
Get the picture properties (where it is located.)

http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/1/cristiano-canadian-600x211.jpg
Put that in between the tags for an image. Just click IMG button in the posting window. Paste in the picture url, then click ok.
And it will render the picture like this
cristiano-canadian-600x211.jpg

Now can we see the meerschaum pipe? ;)

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
lordy mercy me
I wonder how our fathers and grandfathers enjoyed a pipe and baccy before this interweb thing-a-me-gig gismo
where did they find fellow smokers to share advice with
-------
Oh yeah!, they went down to their local bar, pub, coffee house or rum shop, but that was in the good old days
Now if you try to smoke in your own loo, dunny, outhouse, crapper, some nazi will kick down the door...
Please note I did not use the term John, as its a much maligned name
-------

So instead of an old fart like me showing off his new pipe to his mates at the local watering hole, I know have to learn how to post a pic on this dam fangled inter web thing

Status
Not open for further replies.