PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
I've been smoking my six or seven Gawith & hoggrath blends in a 25 year old small Savinelli that's about worn out. I have a lesser used meerschaum, but was concerned the blends might "ghost" the pipe. I had thought through reading that this type of pipe wouldn't. Thought I'd check with the experts before I try. Thanks. On a similar note, anyone had issues with fighting with G&H best browns or dark flake?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I bought a used Strambach meerschaum that had a Lakeland ghost which stayed with it for about 50 smokes. I'm not sure if it was a block or pressed meerschaum, but I suspect the latter. Sounds like a good time to buy a new meer that's dedicated to your favorite blends.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
Meerschaum is porous, it will pick up some of the scent, maybe less than a briar with a thick cake, but it will. Eventually, the ghost will go, it is just a matter of smoking the pipe. All pipes and all ghosts can be smoked into submission as long as you are patient.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
"All pipes and all ghosts can be smoked into submission as long as you are patient." I think what he said is right on target!!

I usually don't care about ghosting...as I like all the tobaccos I smoke...don't really care if it has a little extra flavoring...unless you are smoking straight Vas.

stewartu

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2012
I find that meerschaum ghosts far less than briar. Smoke that thing and enjoy.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Carter Hall does wonders with ghosted pipes - 4 out of 5 exorcists recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.