PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’ve really gotta dial back the PAD/TAD, but the bug is bad!!

I’m very intrigued by the Falcon pipe setup, especially with the idea of a meer bowl. I like smaller bowls and most meer bowls I’ve seem specs on for the falcons are roughly .8”x.8” which would be great for work.

I’ve got a few questions for those that know:

-Are Falcons in general pretty sturdy? I work construction/heavy equipment.

-Are the Falcon meer bowls that available via SP and 4N block?

-does the “humidome” need the filter inside?

-anything to beware of on estate Falcons, and do they have proprietary stems?

-does anyone know a sure way to keep wife from freaking out on excessive pipe procurement?

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Falcons are great, I use them as my camping/walking holiday pipes so I can take one or two stems and a few bowls. I have one meerschaum bowl and it fits all my stems. All my stems are British, running from the first year of production to a modern stem I bought last year.

I never use the dry ring, but if you do these can just be cut from a thin pipe cleaner. Worth bearing in mind that older falcon stems do need the falcon pipe cleaners as regular ones won't fit.

All the meer bowls I've seen available in the UK are block.

No one could be angry with you buying a Falcon, they're so cheap! And new bowls are much easier to disguise than a whole new pipe...

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
I have 4 Falcon pipes, 2 of which I have Meer bowls on them.
I like the Falcon pipes and find them to be very sturdy pipes. I'm not sure that I would use my Meer bowls on them on a construction sight, but that's entirely up to you. Me being a clencher, I know I would inevitably bump into something while running equipment and crack or shatter a Meer bowl.
The stems on the UK. made Falcons are somewhat permanently mounted and are not intended to be removed.
I do not use the filters myself and find the draw to be open and just about perfect for my liking.
I got my Meer bowls from Star Meerschaum Pipes, Cemal Yavez. They are block Meerschaum.
Hope you enjoy one soon!
Dave

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I love my falcon and smoke it daily. Smoking one right now. Small bowl for relatively short smokes. These are sturdy. And you shouldn’t remove the stem, but it can be done cautiously. I don’t know how to get a replacement stem. You don’t need the filter. And it’s a sitter. There’s always a good draw on a falcon, it’s engineered to perfection. I also consider to buy a meerschaum bowl.

Ah yes the wife will never be d’accord. Don’t forget to buy her some flowers from time to time.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I have a few Falcons and Dr Grabow Vikings, I like em for traveling when space is limited. I've tried the cleaner ring filters and like @TheIronMonkey found they can often block the draw so I'll usually forgo the filter. You'll need the thin Falcon cleaners to clean em cause other cleaners won't fit the draft hole. They are great knock around pipes.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Ah yes the wife will never be d’accord. Don’t forget to buy her some flowers from time to time.
Well, it’s nothing new, I’ve been married over 25yrs…

3 different women of course, but I’m learning.
Finally I got one that understands how a door works if she’s truly unhappy about something (and is clear that I understand as well).
The pipes weren’t there when we got together, so I do try to be considerate-more so than any “you know what you were getting into” topics.

Feb 7, 2023
I just purchased a falcon myself last week. The bits are quite soft for better or worse, I don’t clench hard enough to mark vulcanite but It is enough to put little dents in the falcon bit. Who cares imo as long as the hole isn’t crushed it’s just war paint.

Still waiting on a meer volcano bowl in the mail.