Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
The first pipe I ever bought was a medico briar wood pipe. Its a good pipe nothing to write home about but smokes pretty good after 20 years. Its still a good pipe to have at work or in the woods. Its actually a tough working pipe and will take some abuse. For 20 bucks whats to lose?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I own a Dr. Grabow and a Medico, my first two pipes. I gave up on buying filters as I like to run a pipe cleaner through without waiting for the pipe to cool. Did you know the Savinelli filter replacement tubes fit these pipes?

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Something about inhaling fumes from hot plastic seems ...........well less than I deal.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
The third pipe I ever bought was a Medico, and we never bonded. Plastic stem. I still have it, but haven't smoked it in years.
I see old Medicos all the time at antique stores, I may try an old one out. The price is always right. I have an old one waiting to be refurbed on my bench right now.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
Sorry guys but my medico varsity is still my "ole reliable". I am so used to the way it feels and smokes. It served me well over the years.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
As far as the filter thing goes. To each his own. I find some tobaccos are better with the filter, some are not. I know this subject can be debated forever. I usually use the filter, but then old habits are hard to break.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I have an old medico spartan bulldog that has been a great smoker for me. It was an estate that took some cleaning up but was well worth the 5 bucks I gave for it. :D

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I have a Merico pipe, it came with a paper filter which I immediately removed and I love the pipe. It's a bent billiard and sits in my mouth purfect and rarely needs relighting. I'm betting once my Meerchaum arrives and the estate pipes I have purchased that it will quickly move to the back of the rack but I like the Medico far more than I do my Falcon.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Now I have a Meerchaum, a couple of Kaywoodie's, a couple of MM Cobs, a YelloBole, and a few others I still find myself often reaching for my Medico, it just sits in my mouth and has a nice feel. Yes it's a Briar and its my travel pipe that I smoke while driving or have my hand busy cause I can bite down on the stem without giving a hoot.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If no details are given on the $20 pipe offer, I would think there is a strong chance it is a Brylon pipe, which

is a synthetic material from the sixties -- not from World War II as sometimes suggested. A few Forums members

really like Brylon pipes for their durability, for rough work place situations, etc. Most people find them much less

good than briars, cobs, or Meerschaum.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
The ad copy on the back of the filter box clearly says the pipe being offered is briar; so no chance of getting Brylon.
If you look at wvsmokeshop, you will see there are actually quite a few Medico lines that are briar.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
When I first started shopping the auction, I won a bid on 9 Medico pipes. When I got them they were all unsmoked and marked imported briar. I've just kept them that way for now. I've got a bunch of old estates in my rotation as well as several cobs, so, I'm going to keep those as a hedge against whichever acquisition disorder may strike me down the road.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Not a big medico fan myself. I have a couple but never smoke them. I've seen few comments putting Dr Grabow and Medico in the same catagory. Sure they're both drugstore pipes, but that's about the only similarity. I have a lot of Grabow pipes and they are all consistently great smokers. Take a second look at some Emperor's and Starfire's. Top notch pipes for great price. and no I'm not a paid spokesperson. :)

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Brings back memories of wheat harvest when I was 16. Medco bulldog and Cherry Blend pipe baccy. Thought I was in heaven.

But I was just 16 back then. :lol:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
My Medico Jet Streams are always in my rotation. There are others I pick up from time to time. The Guardsmans are good pipes.

The older Medicos can be very good buys.
I recently picked up my second Medico Brylon pipe, this Onyx:
medicoonyx_zps214d8778.jpg

For a six dollar pipe...well...hey, it works! And as many here never fail to mention, it's dishwasher safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.