PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankth

Lurker
Sep 11, 2013
hey guys, What do you think about these medico filters, I was considering that its the best way to avoid any chemical in my mouth and humidity in my pipe but everytime I use a medico filter its just getting ultra wet and I do think that there is a bad effect on the taste of my baccys and the complete smoking experience.
What do you think ?

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Filters are a iffy around here, some love them others throw them away immediately. I think that filters impart the taste of the tobacco so I never use them, but if you are determined to use them you could use the Savinelli filters they are balsa I think but can't remember. Also this may be a useful question did you pipe come with a filter or did you add it since some pipes need adapters to work with out the filters. As for your filter getting wet I would think that you are either smoking to hot or your tobacco is to moist.

~Ron

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I smoke my pipes raw dog, no protection. Were you using the filter with a Medico pipe as well? Perhaps a brylon pipe?

frankth

Lurker
Sep 11, 2013
My 2 Missouri Meerschaum have filter stems, but I think they work great without filters, anyway I will give a shot to Savinelli's balsa filters. I was smoking Trout Stream that I let dry for a day, but this thing stay very goopy.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I use the filters in pipes that use filters and don't in pipes that aren't produced for them. I find the filters do help with accumulated moisture and takes away the gamble of getting ash in my mouth. I don't find they impart any taste. I like the filters but I still own and operate filterless pipes. The only thing I will never buy again is a pipe with a fixed stinger.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
If you're at all handy, and have a "Hobby Lobby" or other crafts store/hobby shop nearby, you can make your own balsa filters. All you need is the balsa wood and an Xacto Knife.

+1 roth on this

after you mentioned this to me some time ago I started making my own, 1/3 square stock balsa from a craft/hobby shop

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
In a filter pipe, I sometimes cut a pipe cleaner in half and then fold the half cleaner in half and insert it into the filter cavity. It works better than a filter for absorbing moisture and tars and yet doesn't affect the flavour.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
I always throw filters away, I think they are little more than a money grab!

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
In a filter pipe, I sometimes cut a pipe cleaner in half and then fold the half cleaner in half and insert it into the filter cavity. It works better than a filter for absorbing moisture and tars and yet doesn't affect the flavour.
Huh... that's pretty ingenious. I'll have to try that at one point. As for the filters. I don't really have a preference. I'll smoke with them or without. Doesn't matter to me.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't have any pipes that require filters. except for a cob,and I pitched that. I think they interfere with the taste.

If your pipe is smoking wet,run a cleaner through it while you are smoking. Problem solved.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I'm another proponent for smoking bareback. No filter protection needed. Adding a barrier lessens the pleasure of the experience, in my opinion. :puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I found the first 2 bowls or so had a bit of a different taste when using a medico filter for the first time, but I find after a few bowls I really enjoy them. I wouldn't change it every smoke. It was also a new pipe I was using, so when I replace it with a new filter I'll have to see what happens. On the other hand the first smoke on my other pipe with C&D's milk and honey I found the filter improved the flavour. I was smoking el ricon de la pipa in the other one that affected the taste a bit the first 2 bowls.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I change mine every two bowls (or one if the air flow is constricted or the filter is obviously saturated, yes I've managed to get a filter pipe to gurgle). Everyone has their preference and I prefer to use the filters when the pipe is made for it. I do, however, want to try the half pipe cleaner folded in half. Maybe tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.