PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Unfortunately, I’ve only really gotten away with smoking one bowl a week for the past month. I’m convinced I need to quit this migraine med. I’m starting to taper myself. Has anyone has this experience with meds? The particular med is Topiramate. It’s used for different things. I’ve gotten pretty good at reducing my cadence when smoking. I could probably dry my tobacco more but I don’t really think this is the issue. I’ve smoked very lightly. Once this happened just from lighting up a bowl. I get tongue burn the next day. It gets a little better but then stays the same for a while. Then the roof of my mouth develops a burning. That takes a while to heal. This all happens with continual extreme dry mouth from the meds. That never stops. That’s how I know it’s not merely my technique. Anyway. I’m wondering if anyone here has had med issues. This med does list extreme dry mouth and metallic taste as an effect. I’m just wondering if I change to a different med that also has the side effect of dry mouth - if that can be managed because I’m sure I’ve managed that with a different med. I’m thinking that this med is unusually bad.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Have you tried any of the injectable medications for migraines? I hear they have less side effects. I’m on Ajovy for migraines and it’s been a life changer for me so far.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Have you tried any of the injectable medications for migraines? I hear they have less side effects. I’m on Ajovy for migraines and it’s been a life changer for me so far.
Yes, I tried one of these. It didn't help a whole lot. I would try a different injection if it were covered by my insurance. The truth is, we are rather broke lately. Since having kids, I'm constantly worried about finances. I can't afford paying out of pocket. It was like 120$ a month for those injections. Maybe injections will be covered some day though.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Try drinking a glass of milk with your weekly smoke.
Other than that, consult your doctor.

Reactions: milk

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Try drinking a glass of milk with your weekly smoke.
Other than that, consult your doctor.
I'll give it a try. I think I'm going to taper off these meds. A lot of people seem to have mouth problems with these. It's pretty frustrating.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Some headaches, including some migraines, are from a physical neck / vertebral issue.

A chemical solution will never fix a physical problem.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Unfortunately, I’ve only really gotten away with smoking one bowl a week for the past month. I’m convinced I need to quit this migraine med. I’m starting to taper myself. Has anyone has this experience with meds? The particular med is Topiramate. It’s used for different things. I’ve gotten pretty good at reducing my cadence when smoking. I could probably dry my tobacco more but I don’t really think this is the issue. I’ve smoked very lightly. Once this happened just from lighting up a bowl. I get tongue burn the next day. It gets a little better but then stays the same for a while. Then the roof of my mouth develops a burning. That takes a while to heal. This all happens with continual extreme dry mouth from the meds. That never stops. That’s how I know it’s not merely my technique. Anyway. I’m wondering if anyone here has had med issues. This med does list extreme dry mouth and metallic taste as an effect. I’m just wondering if I change to a different med that also has the side effect of dry mouth - if that can be managed because I’m sure I’ve managed that with a different med. I’m thinking that this med is unusually bad.
saliva protects the mouth. Yes dry mouth will make it more sensitive to harm and bother. The med could also just make you more sensitive period. Yes try another one. Side effects are a legit reason to try and switch meds.

Reactions: milk

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Have you tried any more natural "medication" for your migraines?

Also do you anything like Biotene oral rinse for your dry mouth?
Yep, why trust doctors when there are so many natural solutions to these problems.
Some headaches, including some migraines, are from a physical neck / vertebral issue.

A chemical solution will never fix a physical problem.
I’ve tried everything. The truth is, with migraines, lots of things trigger them, including too much sleep, too little sleep, stomach problems, weather changes, stress, neck problems, certain foods, etc. all of these things absolutely trigger migraines. I have two kinds of migraines which complicates things. I can manage the daily kind. There’s a worse kind that landed me in the ER. Topiramate is not the only med I take. I’ve tried deep massage which does help. Diet is important. Sleep and barometric pressure are both big issues. Stress, as I said, is a big issue and mindfulness is shown to have some benefits. But, ultimately, it’s an issue that nags.
I’m tapering this med because I’m not giving up pipes. No way.
But the more debilitating kind of migraine I sometimes get is very scary.

Reactions: kcghost and Kobold

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I’ve tried everything. The truth is, with migraines, lots of things trigger them, including too much sleep, too little sleep, stomach problems, weather changes, stress, neck problems, certain foods, etc. all of these things absolutely trigger migraines. I have two kinds of migraines which complicates things. I can manage the daily kind. There’s a worse kind that landed me in the ER. Topiramate is not the only med I take. I’ve tried deep massage which does help. Diet is important. Sleep and barometric pressure are both big issues. Stress, as I said, is a big issue and mindfulness is shown to have some benefits. But, ultimately, it’s an issue that nags.
I’m tapering this med because I’m not giving up pipes. No way.
But the more debilitating kind of migraine I sometimes get is very scary.
Yes i went the THC route with a "doctor's" recommendation and it's worked out perfectly but then again i didn't get them from so many things mine were maybe once every few weeks, now i just head them off.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I guess I’ve been heading them off since senior year of high school lol!
I didn't partake for 20 yrs till i was talking about migraines with a friend i worked with and he told me this worked for him and i gave it a try, worked for me too.. Everyone is different but I'm just happen not to be taking manmade pills that have a dozen other things they can cause.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I didn't partake for 20 yrs till i was talking about migraines with a friend i worked with and he told me this worked for him and i gave it a try, worked for me too.. Everyone is different but I'm just happen not to be taking manmade pills that have a dozen other things they can cause.
Cbd oil might have helped a little. I might try it again. It’s not a cure. But Japan is strict for other things. Migraines are serious business. One simply can’t function without managing them one way or another.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Migraine is a bitch. Had really bad case of migraine with aura for number of years. They are gone now. Number of medications, number of ER visits.. Only thing that worked was taking enough sedative and going to sleep. Then I developed anxiety. Then my shrink said I have depression too. Took sometime to find the right meds for the anxiety/depression, but once we found it, hell.. life is good. And no more migraine! Then again plumbing in my brain is so messed up, not sure what's going on.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I
Migraine is a bitch. Had really bad case of migraine with aura for number of years. They are gone now. Number of medications, number of ER visits.. Only thing that worked was taking enough sedative and going to sleep. Then I developed anxiety. Then my shrink said I have depression too. Took sometime to find the right meds for the anxiety/depression, but once we found it, hell.. life is good. And no more migraine! Then again plumbing in my brain is so messed up, not sure what's going on.
I’m glad they subsided. It’s good to hear you feel balanced now. I understand the kind of issues you’re talking about, at least in my own way.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I also take topiramate for migraines. I have not experienced this side effect. Could be a lot of reasons for that. I was managing my migraines successfully without medication for many years partly because I didn’t like the way previous medications affected my system. However, ten years ago I moved and my migraines went out of control again. None of my strategies worked.

mgraypatricia

Lurker
May 31, 2023
I can definitely relate to your experience. I've also dealt with dry mouth as a side effect of medication, and it can be quite bothersome. And for that, I have used this Dry Mouth Spray which might help you also to get instant relief.
It's good that you're aware of the potential side effects of Topiramate, including extreme dry mouth and metallic taste. If you're considering switching to a different medication that also lists dry mouth as a side effect, it might be worth discussing this concern with your doctor.
They can provide guidance on managing dry mouth and help find a medication that works better for you. Hang in there, and I hope you find a solution that alleviates these uncomfortable symptoms!