PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Sutliff Red VA or King's Red VA are my go to for a straight Red. Age definitely helps these two.
But man, there are just so many blends out there there to try that are fantastic and readily available. Id go down rabbit holes. I got really into reds so instead of one tin for 100+, I could try 6 or more blends for thr same price and discovered some that have ended up as some of my favorites.

To want to sample it because of the legend behind it, I get it. But trying to match McClelland blends, I don't get. It's an endless venture

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The best Reds I know of that even remotely make me think of McClelland are F&T Blackjack and Rattrays Old Gowrie. More than the similarity, they're both fine blends well worth smoking. If the ketsup vinegar thing is so important to someone, mix the two in a small bowl and sniff it while smoking OG or Blackjack. Like smoking mcclelland, you won't taste the ketsup vinegar but if you choose your eyes, perhaps you can imagine it.

Even better, if it's that important to you, save your pennies and buy some on the secondary market. They aren't making any more and it won't be getting any cheaper.

Aug 1, 2012
So, everyone here told me I didn't actually taste the tang of a fresh McClelland blend. You used to get quite the flaming for saying you did. However, I did taste a little tang and to me it was wonderful. It was like adding just a little salt to your candy as you make it, it just elevated the flavors. And as for selling recipes, as has been said, there's a personal touch that cannot be replicated in many blends and simply selling a recipe is not a guarantee of the same flavors (see: escudo, rattrays, condor, Balkan sobranie, dunhill, ad infinitum). However it is sad to see a technique leave the field whether it be Rachmaninoff or McClelland. It's the artist's choice whether to pass on the art or let it die with them. Such is life.

Aug 1, 2012
I guess I'll have to try some of the "vinegar" Sutliff to see what that's all about. Also, I haven't opened a tin of McClelland in over 7 years, only old Mason jars. No idea how the ketchup fared over time.

Reactions: SBC
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
McCrannies red ribbon is McClellend. It was blended and tinned for McCrannies by Mike McNeal, it basically is 5100.
This. It's slightly more refined than 5100 as its a vintage crop of 5100 and aged. You'd have a difficult time picking one from the other if you smoked them side by side, particularly if the 5100 has some age to it.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
McCrannies red ribbon is McClellend. It was blended and tinned for McCrannies by Mike McNeal, it basically is 5100.
That's what I figured I have a tin I'm slowly going through and its the smoothest Red I've ever had, got a couple more for aging when I popped the tin a couple of months back I it almost cracked an eardrum, gotta check the seals on the others.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
That's what I figured I have a tin I'm slowly going through and its the smoothest Red I've ever had, got a couple more for aging when I popped the tin a couple of months back I it almost cracked an eardrum, gotta check the seals on the others.
All Red Ribbon was tinned from only 3 or 4 crops of tobacco from one farm. If you have 2017 tins I believe that crop was 2008 and was the last of Red Ribbon.

When the "Is Red Ribbon the same as 5100" question would come up back in the day, I wrote both McCrannies and Mike... both told me that RR was specifically from crops reserved for them. It does taste similar to 5100, but you will notice a little bolder taste with more spice notes. Honestly, if you haven't developed a more refined palate for Virginias, you may not be able to tell... but they are different.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When the "Is Red Ribbon the same as 5100" question would come up back in the day, I wrote both McCrannies and Mike... both told me that RR was specifically from crops reserved for them. It does taste similar to 5100, but you will notice a little bolder taste with more spice notes. Honestly, if you haven't developed a more refined palate for Virginias, you may not be able to tell... but they are different.
Yep. I was told the same thing. But myths are hard to kill.

Out of curiosity, last night I opened a jar of 2015 5100 to reaquaint myself with it. When I jarred it I thought it a rather bland monochromatic snooze, with a little bit of some flavoring, just a touch. Since then the 5100 has darkened to a deep dark red. It ain't a snooze no more! It has gained nicely in pungency and developed a nice sweetness to counterbalance the matured red funkiness. And there's still that very subtle flavor note, whatever the hell it is. So I tried some 2008 McCranies that I had jarred. There are similarities, but they're not the same. For one thing, that flavor note that's in the 5100 isn't in the McCrainie's. Sources are different. Processing is different. McClelland rotten tomato matured Virginia funk is similar.

Yep. I was told the same thing. But myths are hard to kill.

Out of curiosity, last night I opened a jar of 2015 5100 to reaquaint myself with it. When I jarred it I though it a rather bland monochromatic snooze, with a little bit of some flavoring, just a touch. Since then the 5100 has darkened to a deep dark red. It ain't a snooze no more! It has gained nicely in pungency and developed a nice sweetness to counterbalance the matured red funkiness. And there's still that very subtle flavor note, whatever the hell it is. So I tried some 2008 McCranies that I had jarred. There are similarities, but they're not the same. For one thing, that flavor note that's in the 5100 isn't in the McCrainie's. Sources are different. Processing is different. McClelland rotten tomato matured Virginia funk is similar.
I, of course, don't have any fresh 5100. But, I remember that it was very close to toasted bread in flavor and aroma smoked. I was even more of a neophyte when smoking it early on, and it took me a long while to "get it." But yeh, something miraculous happened to it as it ages. I like it better than the Christmas Cheer blends.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I, of course, don't have any fresh 5100. But, I remember that it was very close to toasted bread in flavor and aroma smoked. I was even more of a neophyte when smoking it early on, and it took me a long while to "get it." But yeh, something miraculous happened to it as it ages. I like it better than the Christmas Cheer blends.
Yeah, I have to admit I was kind of shocked when I lit up that bowl last night. Here's one that really does benefit from aging, so far as I'm concerned. What I smoked last night was tangier than most of the Christmas Cheers I've smoked. As much as I like Christmas Cheer blends they almost always leave me wanting a bit more than they give.

Going to have one more bowl before it goes back down to sleep.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a burley devotee, so here's my grain of salt. I found 5100 a pleasant smoke, but to me, it made an especially good condiment with other tobaccos. I don't have any inclination to track down more of it. I have some other McClelland blends, and i can enjoy those eventually when I pop those tins. Meantime, there is a world of good blends available from dozens of blenders, so there's no need to pine for the past and fantasize about how great discontinued blends were ten years ago.

Who ever thought that a blending tobacco would be so highly sought after? rotf
I used to hate the name 5100, because I just can't remember numbers, but it has a name, Red Cake. But no one seems to want to call it that. But, it could be used to blend with, but the majority of people back in the day bought it because it was one of the most sought after straight Virginias... but, any Virginia can be a blender.

Reactions: vosBghos

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I have at least 12 oz of jarred 5100 left and I was just curious what this would sell for. Probably not enough for me to go to the trouble, but I have no idea the value. I checked two tobacco sites and didn't find any for sale.

Thanks.

Ron

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy