PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
So, I get this alert the other day that Red Flake is back in stock. I have always been meaning to try it, but never have. With all this talk about Red Virginias becoming more scarce, I thought I better get these tins now or never. I do like RV's very much. Upon ordering, I was surprised to learn that I had to send a check. It's been years since I came across an internet retailer that didn't take credit cards. I didn't mind. After all, I was planning on cracking a tin when it got warmer out anyway.
This afternoon, I got notification that my tins had shipped. I hadn't even made out my check to them yet and they were already shipping my tins.

I figured I better call them to let them know that they were sending the tins before I even sent the check. There must be a mistake. So, I called McCranie's.
They said they always do business this way and never have problems.
Wow. It's so nice to discover a retailer that trusts their customers this much. It's even nicer to know that pipe smokers are generally people who can be trusted.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I have bought from them several times and they ship first and you send your check when the product is received. Very nice people to do business with.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Lol yep, it freaked me out the first time I ordered from them. Great old school service at its finest. Very cool to talk to on the phone as well.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
CHECK?!?! Who the hell writes checks anymore??
I recently moved to a town that has several restaurants that accept only cash or checks, even in this day and age.

It would drive me crazy if they weren't all awesome old school mom and pops that make me go back for more.

Its almost like a badge of honor at this point, with any companies I run into that refuse to be held hostage to credit card fees, and usually means quality service or product.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
This kind of every day story makes me happy, although I have never written a check in my 50+ years young life :)

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
If requiring cash is an idiosyncrasy, then it’s a pretty common one for restaurants in NYC. I’m sure they report all their earnings (nudge nudge, wink wink) but just hate paying the credit card companies their cut...
As for checks, I generally send one out every month or two, but write them online. The check is physically issued and mailed to the recipient by my bank. That way I don’t have to soil my hands with money or even a money surrogate.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've been doing business with McCranie's for over a dozen years. Good folks.

One time I ordered from them around the December holidays, and somehow - not sure how - the enclosed bill got lost, and I forgot about it.I received a polite note from them several months later. I looked back through my register - I write maybe 2 dozen checks a year - and was quite embarrassed to discover my error. I got a check out to them as soon as I could, with an appropriate note.

I've still got a couple of tins of the '96 crop of Red Ribbon stashed away...

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I love that this is they way they do business. I remember being able to call up C&D and ordering sample packages discussing the different blends that I was interested in. The thing that really pushed the pipe smoking hobby for me was how friendly, dedicated and enthusiastic most everyone I came in contact with. It didn't matter if it was someone in forum or a store owner...it has always for the most part felt like such a small tight world to be included in. Almost like stepping back in time to a friendlier and more trusting era.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Ribbon is sold out but I picked up some more Red Flake; great service and I just use a postal money order to pay them.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It was kind of funny.
I agree, but I was thinking, oh no! Here's another 15 threads full of "prime insinduendo," and he said/she said about whose hearsay should prevail. At any rate, I've said much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.