PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I never see a lot of McClelland blends get a lot of love on these forums, so here we go. I have been searching for months for a good, solid English blend that really "did it" for me. A lot of them had fallen flat for me, and I was almost ready to give up the search. Then I found this unopened tin that had gotten knocked off my book shelf and had been forgotten about. I popped the tin, filled my pipe, lit it up, and WOW! What a blend! Silky smooth on the tongue, not the slightest hint of bite, deep and sugar sweet in flavor with a spicy latakia punch, and a bit of oriental, which I can't really describe the taste of, but it helps to round out the flavor and makes it unique. Burns to a very clean ash and doesnt goop up or ghost a pipe. This tin will be gone in no time! Let me know if there are other McClelland blends you enjoy!

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
A favorite right before bedtime smoke for me as well. If Latakia is your bag Three Oaks and a match can "light up your life".

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I really enjoy the 3 Oaks Original. Which is supposed to be a replication of the old Balkan Sobranie 759 mixture. As for a McClelland burley, my favorite is X-40 Burley Flake. Not only is it a great Burley smoked straight as it is, but it's a super blending tobacco as well.

Jul 15, 2011
I just placed a rather sizable tobacco order that was consistent more of McClelland Blends than anything else. Gonna give some of their oriental mixtures a try as well as some matured virginia blends.

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
I've been enjoying the McClelland Blue Mountain that won the peoples choice in the Sobranie throwdown. Of course they also have the Frog Morton series, all great tobaccos.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I have my tin of Blue Mountain, however, I'm waiting to finish other open tins first. I try not to have too many tins open at the same time. I prefer to concentrate on a few blends before moving on to another new one. Glad to know you guys are enjoying it. Always great to have a blend treat to look forward to.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I agree, both 3 Oaks Syrian and Blue Mountain are among the best McClelland has produced, in addition to Anniversary ('02, '05 & '10). As extraordinary as these blends are, they really light up once the tin is allowed to sit for 2 weeks after opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.