PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
McC's went to lengths especially on sourcing the tobaccos. In a sense, every blender with Virginia based blends is trying to "match" McC's in terms of coming up with an extraordinary flavor. The extra care and dedication would require immense energy and knowhow.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Mike McNiel is still around -- he shows up at pipe events now and then. When he's asked if he'll sell his recipes (and we can only imagine the high dollar offers that other blenders must have made to him), he swears that he'll never tell one soul how he did what he did -- that he'll take his recipes with him to the grave.

I'm sure that we all have our opinions about that.

No point in wallowing in the past. It really is best just to let it die out. No big blending house is going to take the necessary steps to ensure that they get it right, and besides, Mike couldn't get the required leaf type harvested and processed like he needed it.

But, if you'd like to kid yourself into believing that it is somewhat similar, you can try that vinegar crap Sutliff is peddling. 515 RC 1, some are telling newbies that have never tried McClellands that this is just like it, ha ha. I'm not sure of it is just a big joke, or if someone actually believes this.
Me, I'd just prefer to let the past slip away. But, it's easy to say when you're setting on a mountain of 5100, ha ha.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Man I really miss McClelland blends. I wish someone should have tried to match them. I really loved best of show blend.
Some of these were great.

As for matching, sure, if you can find the same sources, grown and harvested in the same way, work out all of the processing that went into producing their signature house style, use the acids they used in the same way that they used them, added the toppings in the same way using the same sourcing. It's a snap.

There's no shortage of McClelland products out in the wild. They released hundreds of thousands of tins. Just wait til the greedy hoarders start croaking out, one after the other, unmourned or hated by their families who often went hungry because "Pa" spent all the money on his "baccy", and those families dump those cellars for nickels, and you'll be awash in all the McClelland you could possibly want.

In the meantime, there are still very enjoyable blends to be had made by other manufacturers.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Mike McNiel is still around -- he shows up at pipe events now and then. When he's asked if he'll sell his recipes (and we can only imagine the high dollar offers that other blenders must have made to him), he swears that he'll never tell one soul how he did what he did -- that he'll take his recipes with him to the grave.

I'm sure that we all have our opinions about that.
I feel like I understand. It amazes me when giving solicited advice how people will ignore key bits no matter how much you stress their importance. There is such a good chance of that happening and yet the person still using the pedigree to sell their blends.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I feel like I understand. It amazes me when giving solicited advice how people will ignore key bits no matter how much you stress their importance. There is such a good chance of that happening and yet the person still using the pedigree to sell their blends.
This is a fair remark, anotherbob. You want your life's work to be remembered on your own terms, not on the terms of somebody who screwed it up and dragged your name through the mud by his screw-up. Fair enough.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
This is a fair remark, anotherbob. You want your life's work to be remembered on your own terms, not on the terms of somebody who screwed it up and dragged your name through the mud by his screw-up. Fair enough.

On the other hand, there is always the option of a warm handoff. I know that McClelland had its own unique processes, but I simply do not believe that it would be impossible (or even all that challenging) to pass them on to a worthy successor.

I for one would like to see Christmas Cheer and the Frog Morton series again, but of course it is nearly certain that they are gone never to return. That's okay though. There are still plenty of excellent blends readily available.

Reactions: SBC