Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bitches, I am going to get my McClelland fix, one way or another...

maxresdefault.jpg

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
I have had few tins of dark start rust through on me. After 5 years I would open and jar.
Its a shame when you open aged dark star tin and the acid and moisture has eaten through without you knowing.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
gkr1, do you store your tins in a grow house? Never heard of Mc having problems with their tins.
I was just notified of the reason Mc is going out of business and why it took so long to spread the news. Since they are such good friends with Pipestud, they allowed him to grab around 6000 tins so that when they announced the closing, he would be in perfect shape to cash in. Now that sounds like a good reason doesn't it?
Steve, you should have sent me those thousand tins I tried to extort from you. Now reap the whirlwind buddy. :nana:

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
I have had few tins of dark start rust through on me. After 5 years I would open and jar.
Its a shame when you open aged dark star tin and the acid and moisture has eaten through without you knowing.
What a bummer. I wonder what the fail rate is for McClelland tins?

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
gkr1, do you store your tins in a grow house? Never heard of Mc having problems with their tins.
I live in San Diego, RH here is around 50% and 72 Deg in my house. Kept in dark, cool closet in middle of the house. Only issue has been with dark stars.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
You know, I think that if we did see a recipe that would makes something as complex as McClelland Aurora or Guillotine Slices, I think that because of the idea that blending tobaccos is just mixing different leaf together, that 99.9% of the people that would lay eyes on it, would have no idea what they were looking at. In fact, we all could be looking at their recipe right now, and just have no idea at all. :puffy:
That's probably true. Plus, a house like McClelland has access to far more varieties than we would by just growing it in the back yard. And yet.... Perhaps there are a few tips we could all use, like aging leaf in apple cider barrels!
I will truly miss and mourn the loss of #27, #8, and FMC. Two of the most popular blenders are now gone. If I weren't blowing my savings on grad school at mid-life, I would be building one helluva cellar.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I was just notified of the reason Mc is going out of business and why it took so long to spread the news. Since they are such good friends with Pipestud, they allowed him to grab around 6000 tins so that when they announced the closing, he would be in perfect shape to cash in.- cigrmaster
I have no idea why some people on these McClelland's threads keep putting my name out there and either mis-quote me or give out other false information, like your's, cigrmaster. It really is not cool. So, to correct another falsehood, the number was 6000,000 tins, not 6,000. :wink:
And to get back on track, Mike and Mary McNiel are two of the finest people you would ever want to meet. Despite their incredible talent and incredible success in the pipe tobacco industry, they are humble and generous to a fault. Congratulations to the both for a great run and a huge thank you to them both for a great ride!
May God continue to bless Mike and Mary McNiel.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
So, are we gonna see another wave of tins showing up in stores or somebody already purchased all remaining at factory?

rimbaud

Lurker
Oct 24, 2013
Here’s to a well deservedly retirement! Sad news for me though. Holiday Spirit was my first pipe tobacco I ever smoked and enjoyed. Still have 2-3 sealed tins for Christmases to come (Hell, or for whenever I feel like it). End of an era for sure.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
I like Dark Star, but it ain't worth $100. I give $29.99.
It will be $100 in few years for 100g tin. Is it worth that much IDK. Is a tin of 50g 3 oaks Syrian worth $100? That is the going rate. IDK. Tudor Castles are selling for $50 already. Penzance at $60 a tin. Its insanity.
But I would pay more and smoke the Dark Star before I smoke 3 oaks.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Unbelievable find. I am just heartbroken over McClelland closing so I go to one of my favorite restaurants, eat a fine meal, have two glasses of Pinot Noir and leave. On a lark I stop by the local B&M and I swear there are two Tudor Castle Arcade tins (2009)on the shelf, one tin of #27 and a smattering of other McClelland offerings. It took all the restraint I could muster not to squeal like a two year old at the sight of a puppy.
I purchased the Tudor and #27 and left the miscellaneous Frog Morton for another lucky soul. They are at Up in Smoke 8558 W 21st in Wichita, KS.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have a sense of sadness that a highly respected small business built on a couple’s shared passion is closing, whether it be because it’s just the right time for them to put their feet up or because they’ve been forced to close by punitively expensive compliance costs. I’m sure we’ll eventually hear the whole story, but I’m hoping it’s mostly the former reason, both for them and for the industry. I wonder what will happen with the brands that they made for other companies. Their closing definitely gives creedance to the logic of cellaring tobacco now, while brands are still available and affordable.
Regarding future value, one thing to factor in is that with the recent rise in cellaring, the supply of older tins may be greater in the future. I wouldn’t be buying on speculation.

Jun 27, 2016
Well it looks like they are really down to the bitter, bitter, end out there. Looking at SP and someone is going to knock out the last of the Cyprian Star and the Blakeneys Latakia Flake, people are starting to lean into the black label blenders, Yenidje Supreme is the only Grand Ori remaining, low stock on one cigar blend, and Balkan Blue and all of the Craftsbury are still up though. There is a bunch of Old Church which has been sitting. There is a bunch of bulk Burley, and a bunch of tinned and bulk aros, and that is about it. Looks like the limit on some stuff has been raised from 10, to 25 tins a day.
P&C still has the Mind Meld, McCrainies still has Red Flake, and again, happy birthday, Duane. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.