PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I recently opened a can of Beacon to be met my a horrid stench of soured ketchup .What is the best course of action here . Air it out or throw it out .

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
The stinkiest cheese is often the best cheese.
Personally, I love McClelland's signature aroma. Makes my mouth water.
I'd say the best course of action would be to smoke it.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
A lot of people say they smell the ketchup smell in McClelland's blends. Guess it's the casing they use, pack a bowl and see how it goes. Let us know what you think when you do.

flugplatz

Lurker
Jan 15, 2010
I love McClellands! I love Ketchup! I don't think they smell anything alike!

My wife thinks a new tin smells like raisins. Doesn't matter which blend. Raisins. Could be 15 years old out of my cellar. Raisins. She's got a weird palette.

If you want, send it to me and I test it for you, and then tell you if it was good or not!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I love conspiracy theories and cockamamie ideas. Here's my take on the McClelland ketchup mystery. GL Pease, among others, claim that tobacco bite is due to the alkaline components of smoke, the effects of smoking too hot, fast, or too much notwithstanding.
Tongue “bite” is a response to smoke with a higher pH (more alkaline) than the mouth and tongue are used to. Some tobaccos, notably burleys, contain a high percentage of nitrogenous compounds, and produce a more alkaline smoke. The dreaded “burley curse” often results. Tobacco producers will work to mitigate this by adding sugars to the casing sauces. Sugars, when burned, actually acidify the smoke, resulting in less “bite.”

Could it be that McClelland is intentionally topping their tobaccos with a harmless acetic substance, like vinegar, to accomplish this effect?

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
There is nothing wrong with your tobacco. The ketchsup aroma is McCellands signiture. Many of their blends smell of it and none taste of it.

As the old commercial once said, "Try it, you'll like it."

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I don't know why, but I never catch the ketchup odor. I just smell the tobacco. I have found very few McClelland blends I don't like. I have noticed that often the tin aroma differs from the taste.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I say give it a try, if you don't like it go take it to buy,sell,trade section and see if anyone would be willing to trade for something you know you like.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
I got a tin of Cornell and Diehl Purple Cow it is a cigar blend and upon popping open the tin i was welcomed by the smell of Bacon.

lbarraa

Lurker
Feb 20, 2010
I never get the McClelland´s Ketchup smell, for me is more like a vinegar/sugar odor, like the sushi. I dont like the McClelland´s aromatics, the rest of the McClellands blens are fine for me, specially the matured virginias (Blackwoods Flakes or 5100, and specially the Christmas Cheer editions).

Bests.

Luis

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I've never been able to pick up that smell with McClellan's tobaccos. Which is a good thing, I guess.

I've been told that I have no taste before, but my nose has never been accused of lacking any sense.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I let it air out for two days and it smoked real nice and smooth . but I can tell when I popped the tin it stunk like the begesus .LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.